October 7 – November 17, 2020
Instructor: Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PCC
Course Fee: $200.00 (includes 2 CEUs)
Registration Opening Soon!
Women Wisdom is a gift of prayer, mysticism, and witness. Entering into the narrative of Women’s stories in the history of Christian thought, participants’ will discover the power of God’s voice through the ages. Ultimately through these six weeks, participants will discover again the wisdom of their own spiritual narrative. Together we will:
- Pray with giants in the faith
- Discover silenced voices of wisdom
- Listen beyond the surface to our own spiritual narrative
- Engage in creative expression and reflection
- Experience formational mediation
How is God inviting you do discover your innate wisdom through these insightful women?
For successful completion of 2 CEUs students will:
1. Participants will post wisdom from historical women from Christianity. (Due each Wednesday)
2. Respond to classmates’ postings weekly. (Due each Friday)
3. Four brief reflection papers on the women wisdom. (Due on Wednesdays)
4. Write your personal spiritual narrative. (Due final Saturday of the course)
The student will need for participation in this class:
- This class is asynchronistic, meaning you will post and read on your own time schedule.
- Required Books:
- Amy Oden, editor. 1994. In Her Words: Women’s Writings in the History of Christian Thought. Nashville: Abingdon Press. ISBN 0-687-45972-9.
- The documents uploaded from Maria W. Stewart, editor. Spiritual Narratives: 19th Century Black Women Witness. (These will be on the Moodle site.)
About Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PPC
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PCC, is a thoughtful innovator who increases leadership excellence and deepens awareness of the Divine through preaching, spiritual direction, coaching, retreat leadership and education. Brenda is an ordained United Methodist endorsed spiritual director, coach and founder of Living Streams Flowing Water spiritual formation ministry. Brenda converses with clients from around the world via teleconferencing. As co-founder of The Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders: Hearts on Fire, she connected spiritual directors for support and resourcing their ministry.
An author of The Advent of God’s Word: Listening for the Power of the Divine Whisper, her forth coming book Spiritual Direction and the Metamorphosis of Church and her weekly blog “Brenda’s Blog” at www.livingstreamsflowingwater.com, Brenda is one of the authors featured in A Quiet Pentecost by Dr. Dwight Judy.
Caring for the needs, spirit and love of others is paramount to Brenda, as she opens space for God’s energy and creative activity in daily life. Through her work as spiritual director she has a very real sense how silence empowers community and personal life. As a consultant for boards, teams, congregations and national organizations she assists in the integration of spiritual formation into all aspects of community. Brenda teaches spiritual formation and spiritual direction online and onsite at Ashland Theological and Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminaries. She is part of the online teaching team for CenterQuest – an ecumenical and International Spiritual Direction training program.
Two of Brenda’s favorite spiritual disciplines are swimming and ballroom dancing. Brenda grew up equally dividing her childhood and teen years between St. Paul, MN and Bowling Green, Ohio. She continues to reside in Ohio where both her son’s family and daughter’s family live. Her greatest delights in life are her children and her grandchildren for whom she strives to be Amma.
You may contact Brenda to be a speaker at your events, consult with your leadership team or schedule spiritual direction and coaching through her website www.livingstreamsflowingwater.com
Please visit the Connectional Learning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the full list of our frequently asked questions.
Want to learn more about the online courses offered through the Rueben P. Job Institute? Please visit the Rueben P. Job Institute Online Courses in Spiritual Formation/Direction webpage.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Course Cancellation Policy
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary reserves the right to cancel the course if a minimum participation level is not reached. If we cancel this offering, participants will be notified of the cancellation 7 business days before the offering’s start date and will receive a full refund.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Policy for Participant Cancellation
Participants can withdraw from the course in writing via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will be provided according to this schedule:
- Withdrawals received more than 30 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 100% refund.
- Withdrawals received between 29 to 16 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 50% refund.
No refunds will be issued for withdrawals received 15 days or less before the course starts.