Spiritual Direction and the Metamorphosis of the Church
April 7 – May 21, 2021 | Online Course
Instructor: Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PCC
Course Fee: $200.00 (includes 2 CEUs)
The Church is Changing! The pandemic has caused a quick shift in how people are coming together to celebrate worship, study, and be more deeply formed in faith. This is the perfect opportunity to reorient congregational faith formation. With foundational tools from spiritual direction, participants will discover a new interior posture for personal leadership, individuals, small groups, and corporate congregational life. Together we will:
- Engage the process of spiritual formation through the tale of transfiguration with ancient and contemporary spiritual disciplines;
- Awaken new possibility amid the wild wilderness of culture within and beyond church;
- Train the heart while becoming a non-anxious presence amid chaotic time;
- Release attachments to be set free for God’s new possibility;
- Develop personal and congregational next steps for reformation of a quiet Pentecost among humanity.
How is God inviting you to be set free for flight with an ever-deepening foundation of formation for life and ministry?
For successful completion of 2 CEUs students will:
- Participants will share wisdom and post queries for classmates’ wisdom sharing. (Due each Monday)
- Respond to classmates’ postings weekly. (Due each Tuesday)
- Reflect upon weekly leadership and congregational Examen. (Due on Wednesdays)
- Develop a personal and/or congregational plan for deepening the foundation of formation and the heartbeat of leadership. (Due final Friday)
Zoom Wisdom Sharing Discussions
Final Friday of class May 21, 2021 time will be determined by location of class participates.
The student will need for participation in this class:
- This class is asynchronistic with the exception of the final Zoom meeting, meaning you will post and read on your own time schedule. This works best if participants have a highspeed Internet connection and a reliable computer.
- Required Books:
- Brenda Buckwell. 2020. Spiritual Direction and the Metamorphosis of Church. Nashville: GBHEM Publishers. ISBN 978-1-945935-80-0.
- Dwight Judy. 2013. A Quiet Pentecost. Nashville: Upper Room Books. ISBN 978-0-8358-1196-6
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PCC is a thoughtful innovator who increases leadership excellence and deepens awareness of God through preaching, spiritual direction, coaching, retreat leadership and education. A United Methodist elder, endorsed spiritual director and coach; Brenda is founder of Living Streams Flowing Water ministry. She teaches spiritual formation, prayer and spiritual direction at Ashland and Garrett-Evangelical Seminaries. She is part of the teaching team for CenterQuest and author of The Advent of God's Word, published by the Skylights Path Publishers and Spiritual Direction and the Metamorphosis of Church published by GBHEM Publishing. Brenda is co-founder of The Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (Hearts on fire), an Associate of Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation, Spiritual Directors International and the International Coaching Federation.
Brenda’s Doctor of Ministry in Theology and Leadership is from Garrett Evangelical Seminary. She has an online teaching certification from United Theological Seminary, Dayton and Master of Divinity from Boston University in Biblical Studies and Church History. Her undergraduate BS degree is from Bowling Green State University. As a PCC certificated coach, she is also a trained supervisor of spiritual directors.
Brenda’s enjoys swimming and ballroom dancing as spiritual disciplines. Brenda equally divided her childhood and teen years between St. Paul, MN and Bowling Green, Ohio. She continues to reside in Ohio where both her son and daughter’s families live. Her greatest delight is her children and her grandchildren for whom she strives to be Amma.
You may contact Brenda to be a speaker at your events, consult with your leadership team or schedule spiritual direction and coaching through her website www.livingstreamsflowingwater.com.
Please visit the Connectional Learning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the full list of our frequently asked questions.
Want to learn more about the online courses offered through the Rueben P. Job Institute? Please visit the Rueben P. Job Institute Online Courses in Spiritual Formation/Direction webpage.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Course Cancellation Policy
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary reserves the right to cancel the course if a minimum participation level is not reached. If we cancel this offering, participants will be notified of the cancellation 7 business days before the offering’s start date and will receive a full refund.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Policy for Participant Cancellation
Participants can withdraw from the course in writing via e-mail to email@example.com.
Refunds will be provided according to this schedule:
- Withdrawals received more than 30 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 100% refund.
- Withdrawals received between 29 to 16 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 50% refund.
No refunds will be issued for withdrawals received 15 days or less before the course starts.