Discernment in Spiritual Direction
September 4 – October 15, 2019
Instructor: Rev. Dr. Dwight H. Judy
Course Fee: $200.00 (includes 2 CEUs)
Registration Deadline: August 26, 2019
At the heart of spiritual companioning is the process of discerning life-direction or life-meaning. This task can also be described as seeking God’s will for each era of our life. This six-week online course will work through the resources of Discerning Life Transitions: Listening Together in Spiritual Direction with the author, Rev. Dr. Dwight Judy. We will note the many arenas of life that impact our discernment including work, family, health concerns, spiritual practices, and practical issues. As we companion with others, we listen for the soul’s deepest longings for meaningful service in our work, volunteer, and family commitments. Through readings, reflection, and online small group conversation, we will explore together the issues from our own personal discernment and from persons we companion in a confidential and supportive environment.
- Post personal written reflections weekly on assigned reading from Discerning Life Transitions, and, if appropriate, from your work with persons you are companioning. These are due by Friday of each week. The following week you will respond in writing to at least two of your classmates’ postings and prepare your next posting.
- Attend an orientation real-time video conference (can also be attended by phone) during first week of class at time mutually agreed upon by class participants. Attend a second video/phone conference in fourth week of the course.
- Plan to spend 3-4 hours weekly on reading, reflection, posting, and responses.
- Required reading:
- Dwight H. Judy, Discerning Life Transitions: Listening Together in Spiritual Direction, A Spiritual Directors International Book (New York: Morehouse, 2010). ISBN: 978-0819224071
- Choose one of the following for devotional reading during the course:
- Joan D. Chittister, The Gift of Years: Growing Old Gracefully (New York: Bluebridge, 2008). ISBN: 978-1933346335
- Dwight H. Judy, Emerging: A Journal Workbook (reflections of a young man). Unpublished manuscript available within the course. Originally written in the late 1970s by Dwight in his early thirties.
- Roger Owens, Threshold of Discovery: A Field Guide to Midlife (New York: Church Publishing Inc., 2019). ISBN: 978-1640650503
- Parker J. Palmer, On the Brink of Everything: Grace, Gravity, and Getting Old (Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc., 2018). ISBN: 978-1523095438
- Choose one book from an additional bibliography on individual or group discernment (list will be provided later) and make a brief book report.
About Rev. Dr. Dwight H. Judy
Rev. Dr. Dwight H. Judy
Rev. Dwight H. Judy, PhD, is professor emeritus of spiritual formation at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois. Dwight helped design the United Methodist Professional Certification in Spiritual Formation approved in 2000 and has offered retreats in spiritual formation since 1980. He is an active spiritual director and retreat leader. He has served as a parish pastor and director of spiritual formation for a retreat center. He is author of six books, including: Discerning Life Transitions; A Quiet Pentecost: Inviting the Spirit into Congregational Life; and Embracing God: Praying with Teresa of Avila. Dwight and his wife, Ruth, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 2017 and are parents of two grown sons.
Please visit the Connectional Learning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the full list of our frequently asked questions.
Want to learn more about the online courses offered through the Rueben P. Job Institute? Please visit the Rueben P. Job Institute Online Courses in Spiritual Formation/Direction webpage.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Course Cancellation Policy
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary reserves the right to cancel the course if a minimum participation level is not reached. If we cancel this offering, participants will be notified of the cancellation 7 business days before the offering’s start date and will receive a full refund.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Policy for Participant Cancellation
Participants can withdraw from the course in writing via e-mail to email@example.com.
Refunds will be provided according to this schedule:
- Withdrawals received more than 30 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 100% refund.
- Withdrawals received between 29 to 16 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 50% refund.
No refunds will be issued for withdrawals received 15 days or less before the course starts.