U.S. Army Chaplain Candidate
CONTACT NAME: Chaplain (MAJ) Taylor Kim
CONTACT EMAIL: email@example.com
CONTACT PHONE: 847-272-8165
DEADLINE: December 30, 2020
The US Army Chaplain Candidate Program is an exciting opportunity for seminary and other professional
religious school students to evaluate their compatibility and potential for commissioning as an Army
Chaplain. The focus is on experiencing ministry in the Army during summer training internships. As a
Chaplain Candidate, you will draw upon your background, education and experience to function as part
of a unit ministry team. Upon entering the program, you commission as a Chaplain Candidate, Second
Lieutenant. Upon graduation and ecclesiastical endorsement, Chaplain Candidates may be eligible for
reappointment as a chaplain in the US Army.
- Apply before 37 years of age or less regardless of prior service.
- Currently enrolled full time in an accredited seminary. You can check accreditation at https://www.chea.org/search-institutions
- Working toward a Master of Divinity or higher degree (minimum 72 semester hour).
- Be approved for the program with at least 3 semesters remaining prior to graduation.
- Chaplain Candidates train to meet the needs of Soldiers and their families as potential future Chaplains. The training program is organized into three phases over multiple years:
- Basic Training to include the 12-weeks Chaplain Basic Officer Leadership Training Course.
- Chaplain Candidate Intensive Internship: 35-day multi-base emersion into the
- Chaplain Corps mission across Active Duty, Reserve, and Guard.
- 35-day tour at an Active Duty base for hands-on practice of Chaplain skill-sets crafted to meet your reappointment goal.
- Additional tours post-degree while you earn your ecclesiastical endorsement to serve as a Chaplain.
- Benefits as an US Army Reserve Officer
- Low-cost Dental Insurance available
- On-base grocery and shopping (PX) privileges (No tax)
Benefits while on Paid Training Tours of Duty
- Annual training tours with Second Lieutenant pay and benefits to include:
- Base pay
- Housing allowance
- Grocery supplement
- Family separation allowance
- Travel Pay/Per Diem
- Servicemen’s Group Life Insurance coverage available
- Potential degree credit (with seminary approval)
Benefits of Your Training
- Paid travel to and from training
- Flexibility to meet your school and civilian employment schedules
- Mentoring by seasoned Active Duty, Reserve and Guard Chaplains
- Exposure to a diverse ministry
- Space and Cyberspace
- First Responders
- Special Ops
- Lifetime relationships with fellow candidates and mentors
- Hands-on ministry with Soldiers and their families
- Maximize your potential to reappoint as an US Army Reserve Chaplain
Please call the US Army Chaplain recruiting office at 847-272-8165.
United States Army