Position: Organist; approximately 10 hours per week Posting Date: 11/22/2021
Starting Date: 1/9/2022
Primary function: Enhance the music ministry of First United Methodist Church by providing organ and piano music and accompanying the choir at regularly scheduled functions including worship services and rehearsals.
Reports to: The pastor as it relates to the worship service requirements and/or the Director of the chancel choir for rehearsal and coordination of the choir accompaniment.
Responsibilities and hours:
- Play the piano/organ at two Sunday services at 8:00 and 10:30 AM and support the choir at the 10:30 service. Music may include prelude, postlude, hymns, anthems and other service music.
- Since the chancel choir begins practice from the last week of August to the first week of June and requires a Thursday night rehearsal prior to each service, attend and accompany the chancel choir rehearsal weekly on Thursdays.
- Provide organ music and piano accompaniments at any extra rehearsals required for additional special services such as Christmas, Easter, or others that the church calendar indicates or the pastor creates.
- First refusal rights to play the organ or piano for weddings and funerals. Compensation would be in addition to the base pay.
- To act as the caretaker of the organ and piano, coordinating maintenance and tuning, in consultation with the pastor.
- Approximately 10 hours per week.
- Excellent organ skills - technical dexterity, accuracy and command of the instrument.
- Strong piano skills and the ability to play a variety of different musical styles.
- Some training or experience in accompanying.
- A degree in music is preferred but not required.
- Previous church experience is desired.
Salary: $13,000 per year with 4 paid Sundays off.
ORGAN: (1928) Aeolian with three (3) manuals and a pedal keyboard, forty-five (45) Ranks with “Late Romantic / Orchestral Voicing”, harp, electronic chimes, and a separate Echo Organ.
PIANO: (2005) 9 1⁄2 foot Concert Grand BÖSENDORFER
Please direct inquiries or submit a cover letter and resume/CV to:
The Rev. Dr. Susan Patterson-Sumwalt (firstname.lastname@example.org)