Minister for Families with Children
TRINITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Job Title: Minister to Families with Children Department: Children’s Ministry
Reports To: Senior Pastor
FLSA Status: Exempt
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
General, Administrative, Relational, Supervisory, and Spiritual
General, Administrative, Relational, Supervisory, and Spiritual
▪ To provide vision, guidance and common direction to the children’s leadership teams.
▪ To work alongside the Leadership Teams to recruit, equip and support involvement of families of children.
▪ To provide consultation and direction for comprehensive curriculum choices.
▪ To oversee all programming and ministry for children ages birth to 6 th grade including Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, summer programming, special events, and etc.
▪ To build, mentor, equip, and lead volunteer teams for God’s Kingdom
▪ To nurture one’s own professional development through continuing education opportunities.
▪ To develop and promote means to attract and grow the children’s ministry program.
▪ To keep a rolling 12-month children’s ministry calendar updated through the office to prevent scheduling conflicts and ensure logistical requirements of each event are satisfied.
▪ To collaborate with the Leadership Team to create and maintain a calendar of children’s ministry events and activities.
▪ To provide necessary adult presence and supervision at all children’s-related activities on or off church property.
▪ To maintain regular posted office hours, attend church staff meetings, and promote a team relationship with other church staff.
▪ To attend church council meetings and represent the children’s ministry.
▪ To lead the development of an annual children’s ministry budget, and monitor adherence to that budget.
▪ To monitor the children’s facilities and equipment and coordinate any repairs or maintenance required.
▪ Adheres to Safe Sanctuary Policy
▪ To develop relationships with families and children while creating a welcoming and safe ministry that is inclusive and spiritually nurturing.
▪ To network and develop relationships with other children’s ministry leaders for the purpose of strengthening one’s own ministry as well as broadening the ministry opportunities for Trinity.
▪ To supervise nursery workers and other personnel and coordinate the recruiting, hiring, and scheduling of paid child care workers
▪ To have an ongoing relationship with Jesus Christ and be committed to growing that relationship through prayer, worship, and study, including consistent prayer for the children, children’s ministry, and leadership teams.
▪ To demonstrate commitment to the mission of the church and adherence when teaching to the theology of the United Methodist church.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Communications: Discerns and communicates the vision of the children’s ministry effectively, speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, participates in meetings, writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of team above own interest, able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives, supports everyone's efforts to succeed inspires and motivates others to perform well.
Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others, displays passion and optimism, inspires respect and trust, mobilizes others to fulfill the vision, provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates, develops workable implementation plans, communicates changes effectively, builds commitment and overcomes resistance, prepares and supports those affected by change, monitors transition and evaluates results, effectively influences actions and opinions of others, gives appropriate recognition to others.
Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Interpersonal: Manages difficult or emotional staff or congregation situations, responds promptly to congregation need, solicits feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance, meets commitments, maintains confidentiality when appropriate, keeps emotions under control, remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things, accepts feedback from others.
Delegation: Delegates work assignments, matches the responsibility to the person, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities, provides recognition for results.
Managing People: Motivates people, able to work with a wide variety of people, obtains cooperation, includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating & process improvement, takes responsibility for subordinates' activities, makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback, develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth, continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Quality and Costs Management: Looks for ways to improve and promote quality, demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Works within approved budget and seeks to implement cost saving measures.
Ethics: Works with integrity and ethically, demonstrates good judgment, has strong moral character, maintains a healthy public persona, and exhibits moral integrity and maturity.
Diversity: Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences, educates others on the value of diversity, promotes a harassment-free environment, treats people with respect.
Attendance/Punctuality/Dependability: Is consistently at work and on time, ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent, arrives at meetings and appointments on time, takes responsibility for own actions, keeps commitments, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan, volunteers readily.
Individual must have attained at least a 4-year bachelor’s degree and have at least 4 years experience in a related field. Preference will be given to individuals who have a certification in children’s ministry or Christian education, or are working towards such certifications.
This job description reflects the Trinity UMC Staff-Parish Relations Committee’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. TUMC shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the church’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the church’s sole discretion.
Thursday, January 23, 2020
United Methodist Church (UMC)