Lead Sunday School Instructor
The Lead Sunday School Instructor (LSSI) job description centers around shepherding the children God has entrusted to us. In this role, the LSSI will be responsible for implementing the Sunday School education curriculum (ages 2-13). The individual will encourage participation and enthusiasm through creativity and warmth. The Children’s Sunday School program is conducted from 10:30 am - Noon every Sunday September through June. The LSSI will be assisted by one more volunteer assistant instructors.
Christ Church Chicago is a progressive Christian community in the West Rogers Park/West Ridge neighborhood. An open and affirming church in the United Church of Christ (UCC), the church embraces diversity and affirms the dignity and worth of every person.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and implement the established curriculum weekly.
- Greet and welcome new students into the class.
- Encourage student participation, creativity and enthusiasm through continuity and connectedness.
- Partner with weekly volunteer(s) to ensure they is prepared for the week’s lesson.
- Aid in volunteer recruitment.
- Set up, tear down and tidy classroom before and after class.
- Consult with students’ parents, as needed.
- Consult with Christian Education (CE) committee regarding student participation and curriculum modifications, as needed.
- Retrieve and respond to phone messages and/or email.
- Arrive 15 min early to welcome class members.
- Build relationships with participants outside of class to better understand their needs and to help them develop their relationship with Christ.
- Faithfully prepare and teach the lesson on your designated week.
- Your goal is not to teach the lesson but to change lives as you impact young people’s value development.
- Teachers have approximately 45 - 60 min to “teach”.
- Provide, in consultation with the minister and CE committee, a monthly Children’s Moment with Christian education content during the adult service.
- Participate in occasional church events such as Rally Day, Family Night, etc.
- Write occasional short articles/notices for church publications.
- Secure a parent questionnaire on each child.
- Occasional shopping for Sunday School snacks/supplies.
- Immediately report any adverse event occurring during classroom time to the CE chair and/or co-moderators and create appropriate documentation.
- Based upon the ages of the kids, class time should consist of:
- Centering/welcoming time
- Lesson time (see info about the curriculum)
- Activity time
- Snack time
- Play time
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with children and youth.
- Positive, friendly, socially confident and gracious.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills (written and oral).
- Background or experience in child/young adult religious education is desired. Knowledge of UCC principles and a broad world view a plus.
- Successful completion of background screening.
Job Type: Part-time
- This is a weekly commitment from September – June.
- Market competitive rates
- Estimated 3-5 hours per week (prep & class time)
Direction and Support:
The LSSI will report to the CE committee chair, but will also be supported by the full CE committee, minister, and church leadership. The LSSI and CE committee chair will meet regularly to provide support and feedback.
Please apply at email@example.com