Director of Youth Ministries
Director of Youth Ministries
POSITION: This is a part-time position at the Congregational Church of Batavia (CCOB). Flexible working hours to be negotiated with the Pastor, not to exceed an average of twenty (20) hours per week. Reports to the Pastor. While not required, a bachelor’s degree is considered a plus.
DESCRIPTION: The purpose is to provide vision, creativity, and leadership in delivering Christian Faith Formation activities for middle and high school youth.
- Conduct yourself in a Christ-like manner and demonstrate high ethical standards as you teach youth with your own life.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with youth.
- Establish meaningful connections with the young people in the congregation and community by finding ways to invest in their lives. Create a safe environment in which young people can express themselves, particularly when discussing sensitive or controversial subjects.
- Create a welcoming environment for all youth, regardless of race, sex, ethnic background, or sexual preference.
- Effectively use church email and social media to communicate with youth, parents, staff, and lay leaders.
- Work alongside other church staff members as a team player, attending staff meetings when availableand sharing in the vision and ministry in which CCOB has been called.
- Work effectively with parents to foster support of the youth program, including ongoing communication to provide opportunities for input and feedback.
- Ability to work towards creative solutions to conflicts.
- Coordinate, implement, enhance, and evaluate youth and young adult programming at church, including Bible study, worship, fellowship, and fun. These activities need to be relevant and effective in instructing, training, nurturing, and equipping youth for leading a Spirit-filled life of faith and forging deep Christian friendships. To that end, this position will work closely with the Pastor and various church volunteers.
- Communicate with parents about program priorities, events, and studies to encourage and enable parents to take an active role in their child’s faith formation with follow-up discussions at home.
- Communicate clearly and consistently about the program’s priorities and events with youth, parents, church staff, Pastor, and volunteers. Update the congregation using internal church communication systems, social media and the church newsletter.
- Note youth successes, challenges, and prayer requests and coordinate with Pastor and/or youth leaders, and parents as needed.
- Plan and coordinate retreats and mission trips.
- Encourage youth and young adults in the program to invite friends in the community to join in program events and activities.
- Contribute to the annual budgeting process and monitor expenditures.
- Recruit and develop adults in the congregation to serve as committed mentors.
- Maintain accurate records of activities, including participants, costs, permission slips, and incident/accident reports.
Thursday, September 5, 2019
Congregational Church of Batavia
United Church of Christ (UCC)