Director of Worship Ministries
Director of Worship Ministries
Our Saviour’s United Methodist Church
701 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194
Our Saviour’s United Methodist Church in Schaumburg , IL seeks an experienced Director of Worship Ministries to inspire, teach and lead its members and the Chancel Choir. We are looking for a Choir Director with a passion for choir singing and an infectious enthusiasm as well an excitement and vision to inspire the Chancel Choir at OSUMC. We are looking for someone with an excellent sense of humor and the ability to maintain an atmosphere of fun in rehearsals and in performance. Our choir is composed of people of all musical levels who want to enjoy themselves, which in our opinion lends itself to excellent music-making.
Director must have a deep, intuitive understanding of choral arrangements and have a strong sense of musicality. Director will lead traditional services weekly. The weekly services are structured according to the United Methodist Liturgy with traditional musical selections performed by the organ, piano, and choir.
The Director will have responsibility for conducting the music program of the church working in conjunction with the pastor, worship leaders, and all the music groups and accompanists in the church as well as special music from outside of the church. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principle functions.
- Prepare and direct the Chancel Choir for Sunday morning worship services and other services as required during its season from early September through Memorial Day weekend.
- Choose appropriate anthems and special music for services which add to the spiritual enrichment of the congregation and at an appropriate level of difficulty for the Chancel Choir members.
- Relate musical selections to the selected scripture reading and worship/sermon themes.
- Supply worship music information to the church office in a timely fashion.
- Conduct a mid-week night Choir rehearsal of not less than one and one-half hours per week in accordance with established rehearsal schedules.
- Order all music and music supplies for the Music Ministry.
- Arrange appropriate musical coverage, as required, for special worship services and summer services while Chancel Choir is on hiatus. Required to be at every service.
- Annually present a budget to the church’s Committee on Finance that should include funds for the purchase of music supplies for traditional services, special services and music programs run by volunteers.
- Maintain the music library and robes.
- Maintain a regular tuning schedule with reputable tuners for organ and piano.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly Church Council meetings.
- Required to attend Worship Committee meetings.
- Required to attend annual Church Conference and provide status report as needed.
- Coordinate payroll for musicians during special events, substitute assignments and communication of duties.
- Publicize musical activities and performance opportunities of the church through bulletin announcements, and occasional articles in THE SIGN.
- Encourage and promote small musical ensembles and soloists to enhance the worship service. Rehearse soloists as necessary.
- Secure and maintain qualified personnel for leadership of musical groups.
- Assist in recruitment of new Chancel Choir members.
- Be on the lookout for people of faith with musical talents, and seek to help them find ways to use and develop their gifts in service to Christ and the Church.
- Evaluate volunteer music staff and programs.
- Choose appropriate vehicles, prepare and execute special “major” musical experiences (i.e. cantatas, concerts, combined instrumental/choral pieces).
- Link with organizations, people, and resources in and beyond the congregation that are concerned about church music.
- Consult with Pastor and sound engineers on audio or staging needs for presentation of services.
- Network with other colleagues in the Northwest Suburbs music community through such programs as ecumenical events, concerts, etc.
- May perform other jobs as assigned ( i.e. may or may not include the oversight of our contemporary praise service.)
- Procure substitutes at church expense for vacation, illness, or death in the immediate family. Any other substitutes shall be procured at the Director of Worship Ministries’ expense.
- Abide by and enforce the Safe Sanctuary policies of the church and the Northern Illinois Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Help support and fulfill the mission, vision, core values, and goals of the church alongside the Pastor and Church Ministry leaders.
Job Requirements. Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Music or Theology (Master’s preferred).
- Minimum 5 years Worship Leader Experience.
- Advanced skill levels in vocal, piano and organ musical presentations.
- Have familiarity with United Methodist liturgy.
- Conducting skills.
- Ability to read, perform, and lead others in worship.
- Proficient in playing organ and piano with the ability to lead while playing.
- Knowledge of choral repertoire and familiarity with a variety of choral rehearsal techniques.
- Proven experience in training and directing a group of musicians in a variety of genres.
- Can relate and lead a multi-generational congregation in worship. Openness to a wide range of musical experiences and styles.
- Skills in leading worship through organ and piano playing, both for choral and congregational singing, along with instrumental solo pieces.
- Computer knowledge, general office machines experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern worship music, Christian Classic (hymns), and secular songs appropriate in a worship setting.
- Demonstrated flexibility to work with various groups throughout the church using music and fine arts for worship.