Director of Children and Youth Ministries
- AUTHORITY: The Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) has prepared this position description.
- SUPERVISORY CONTROL: Ashton United Methodist Church (AUMC), through the SPRC, employs the Directory of Youth and Children’s Ministries. The senior pastor of AUMC provides the day to day direction and supervision of the Director of Youth and Children’s Ministries.
- MINISTRY OBJECTIVE: The youth and children’s ministry of Ashton UMC exists to empower young people with the love of Jesus Christ through a caring and committed community where they can grow in their Christian faith. This ministry exists to integrate young people into our faith community and provide opportunities for spiritual formation and growth.
This is a full time position. It is expected that the incumbent will work an average of 40 hours per week.
- The number of working hours per week is variable. Some weeks will require greater than 40 hours (e.g. for retreats, mission trips, Vacation Bible School, etc).
- Some hours will be spent working outside the church’s weekday business hours (e.g. weekends, some evenings, Christmas Eve, etc)
- Some hours will be spent during church business hours (e.g. for staff meetings, worship services and Sunday school, planning, etc)
ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR THE POSITION
- The Youth and Children’s Director (YCD) needs to have a dedication to both youth and children’s ministry, a strong personal faith and growing relationship with God, and must model a Christ centered life.
- The YCD needs to have a caring and dynamic personality. They need to have demonstrated experience in establishing strong relationships with young people and the ability to create engaging models of ministry for age groups from infancy through high school.
- The YCD should be an effective teacher and communicator.
- The YCD needs to have strong organizational and team building skills.
- The YCD must be able to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive matters of families and individuals (except where it is necessary to ensure the well being of those involved).
- The YCD must be affirming of LGBTQIA+ students and sensitive to their concerns to using preferred pronouns and language. The YCD must promote an environment of diversity and inclusion for all students.
- The YCD is responsible for planning and executing the youth ministry program. This includes creating fun and engaging opportunities for youth to help them grow in relationship with Christ, the church family, and with each other. This program includes grades 6-12. With significant graduating group of high school youth this year and last year and a group of students who will age into youth group this fall and next year, the YCD will be shaping the dynamics of a largely new group.
- The YCD is responsible for shaping and implementing the children’s ministry program from infants through 5th grade including nursery care, Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, the Christmas pageant, the Easter Egg Hunt, and other opportunities for faith development.
- The YCD will work adult volunteers and actively recruit and develop new adult volunteers.
- The YCD will plan, develop, and provide leadership for opportunities for our young people to put their faith into practice. These opportunities include worship, Sunday school, confirmation classes, service in the church and community, mission trips, summer mission camp, fundraisers, and regular gatherings for fellowship and spiritual development.
- The YCD will effectively communicate with the children, youth, parents, and the congregation on a regular and timely basis using a variety of methods.
- The YCD will look for opportunities to connect with children and youth in the community- for example, engaging with local schools.
- The YCD will coordinate and equip youth Sunday school classes, curriculum, and teachers. The YCD will recruit Sunday school teachers and may also teach a class. Over the summer, the YCD will facilitate Junior Church, recruiting volunteers and leading on weeks without volunteers.
- The YCD will oversee a nursery attendant and/or volunteers to ensure weekly coverage for the nursery.
- The YCD will report directly to the senior pastor and will work together in a team atmosphere with the senior pastor and other staff members.
- The YCD will continue to grow and keep skills current through leadership training, seminars, and networking with other leaders within the United Methodist Church.
- The YCD shall generally be present in worship and may assist in leading children’s messages and monthly preschool chapel.
- The YCD shall work with church financial leadership to prepare and track the youth and children’s annual budget, ensuring expenses are within the approved allocation.
- The YCD will interact appropriately with congregation members of all ages and will assist in implementing Safe Sanctuary policies for those working with children or youth of the church.
- EVALUATION: The Director of Youth and Children’s Ministries will be evaluated by the SPRC in consultation with the pastor on an annual basis.
- COMPENSATION: “Salary is competitive and considers the higher cost of living in the region. In addition, the compensation package includes a three bedroom church owned parsonage.
If interested, send your resume to email@example.com.