Children & Youth Ministries Assistant
Job Type: Part Time Wage: $15.00 per hour Benefits: No
Start Date: September 1, 2019
Central United Methodist Church, located in the heart of the city of Detroit, is a diverse Peace and Justice, Reconciling Congregation, where all are welcome regardless of race, ethnicity, immigration status, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic situation, age, ability, belief, or background. We seek a nursery coordinator who is committed to our vision of an inclusive church community.
Central’s Children's Ministry is growing! Come join our team! We are looking for a new Children & Youth Ministries Staff Member who has a passion for sharing and showing God's love to our youngest ones, from infants and toddlers through high school.
To assist the Director of Children, Youth and Family Ministries with all aspects of our growing program. To coordinate a Nursery Program at Central UMC that serves, accepts, loves, and teaches infants and toddlers (up to 3 years old) in a safe, caring, trustworthy setting, and assists with programming for older children and youth as needed.
- The Children & Youth Ministries Assistant will possess:
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of children.
- A commitment to the Christian faith and general understanding of the Bible and Christian teaching.
- A warm, engaging personality.
- Acalming, non-anxious presence.
- An ability and willingness to be flexible in a changing environment.
- Childcare experience with references.
- Satisfactory completion of criminal background check and reference check.
- Satisfactory completion of United Methodist Church Safe Sanctuary Training.
- First Aid, including infant CPR, certification or a commitment to securing certification in the first 60 days of employment.
- Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of and previous experience in the United Methodist Church.
The Children & Youth Ministries Assistant will:
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Children, Youth & Family Ministries to provide Christian education to children from 3 years old through high school. (Ages and numbers of children vary each week depending on attendance).
- When children younger than 3 years of age are present, work in the nursery to provide childcare and Christian education. (Central’s nursery is open Sundays from 9 am - 12 noon. Additionally, Central offers nursery/childcare for special services, meetings, and events.)
- Schedule and help train nursery volunteers.
- Direct children’s play activities and foster proper sharing behavior.
- Provide Christian education through hands on activities appropriate to each child’s age.
- Change diapers and clean up after toileting accidents, as necessary, using Standard Precautions.
- Assure all nursery toys and materials are sanitized and maintained in an orderly fashion.
- Maintain continuous accountability for children, including check-in and check-out procedures.
- Maintain parent/guardian contact information and any special medical needs of each child, (such as allergies).
- Alert parents to any difficulties with children and contact them for assistance if necessary.
- Assist with revision and implementation of Nursery Policies.
- Provide a minimum of a 2-week notification to supervisor when scheduling time off and ensure that nursery will be staffed by trainedvolunteers.
- Check in regularly with supervisor about needs of the program as well
- Attend as to share updates on successes and challenges. Christian Education meetings and trainings as invited.
- 5-10 per week. (Not to exceed 10).
- Sundays 9 am – 12 noon (end time may vary depending on the length of
- worship service).
- Special services, meeting and events as planned and scheduled in advance.
- A minimum of 2 hours per week for cleaning nursery room, preparing lessons and activities and meeting with supervisor.
To apply please email your interest letter, a current resume, and two references to Jeffrey Ellison, Staff Parish Relations Committee Chair at EllisonEsq@aol.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted promptly to schedule an interview.