Children’s Chapel Coordinator
The primary responsibility of this part-time position (5 hours weekly during the school year) is to
coordinate our congregation’s Children’s Chapel ministry for children ages 3 through 4th grade.
Children’s Chapel (Chapel) helps children ages 3 through 4 th grade to experience the wonder of worship
within a lively, child friendly setting. Chapel will focus on a variety of expressions of worship using many
forms of music, art, and hands on activities. Chapel will occur during our 10:30 am worship service
following our Time with Young Disciples and will be approximately 40 minutes in length. This creative
and energetic worship education experience for children will model growth in their journey toward
discipleship so that they can learn ‘rituals’ of Christian worship.
The specific areas of responsibility for the Children’s Chapel Coordinator are:
- Staff Oversight - Recruit, train, schedule, and supervise Chapel teachers and volunteers.
- Curriculum - Select and/or create age-appropriate and inclusive worship education curriculum and activities.
- Communication – Manage the church’s communication with Chapel children and their parents.
- Evaluation - Evaluate, assess, and revise as needed the curriculum and ministry.
- Lesson planning – Classroom preparation.
- Classroom teaching
- Have comfort and experience teaching with an inclusion lens so that children of all backgrounds, family units and learning styles are welcomed and nurtured
- Sundays during the 10:00 am to noon window, manage the Children’s Chapel classroom and actively teach during the approximately 40 minute Chapel time
- May also occasionally be asked to arrive at 9:00 am to teach Sunday School on a substitute basis
The Children’s Chapel Coordinator reports to the Children’s Ministry Leader. As a member of the
program staff for the church the Coordinator will also receive feedback and guidance from the Senior
Pastor. Job performance will be reviewed annually by the Children’s Ministry Leader under the guidance of the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com
with “Application – Children’s Chapel Coordinator” indicated in the subject line.
Thursday, November 7, 2019
Evanston First UMC
United Methodist Church (UMC)