Associate Director of Music Ministries & Organist
First United Methodist Church celebrated its Sesquicentennial in 2017 and has a membership
of over 1500 people. Members of this historic downtown church have played a vital role in all
areas of the Tupelo community for decades. FUMC continues to lead the way in race
relations, local missional and outreach projects, and is a community of faith where all are
The church has a long history of a dynamic music ministry that currently includes four
children’s choirs, a Youth Choir, an advanced handbell choir, and the Chancel Choir. Church
instrumentalists and pianists are also utilized regularly. There are three morning services –
two traditional services in the Sanctuary and one contemporary service in the Fellowship
Hall. A wide variety of musical styles is regularly incorporated into the traditional worship
services. The Chancel Choir currently has a membership of fifty singers and rehearses and
sings twelve months of the year. The Chancel Choir presents musical services with orchestra
and has been a featured choir with the North Mississippi Symphony Orchestra two times in
the last several years. All other choirs are active from August until May.
The Sanctuary organ, a beautiful free-standing mechanical action instrument was custom
designed and custom built by Gabriel Kney in 1991. It consists of 32 stops and 41 ranks. The
church also has wonderful Yamaha pianos for use in the Sanctuary. Other resources include a
large dedicated music suite; a five octave set, a three octave set and a two octave set of
Schulmerich Handbells; a five octave set and a two octave set of Schulmerich Handchimes;
and a large group of Orff instruments and African drums.
For more information about our church and its ministries, visit our website at www.fumctupelo.com.
The Associate Director of Music Ministries and Organist will nurture the spiritual life of First
United Methodist Church through the ministry of music and will practice personal disciplines
which will enhance the validity of the Christian faith through witness and example. This
position is responsible for assisting the Director of Music Ministries and Organist in all aspects
of the music ministry within the church. The Associate is supervised by the Director of Music
Ministries and Organist, with direction from the Senior Minister, and is accountable to the
Staff Parish Relations Committee.
• Experience in church worship, choral conducting and service playing.
• High degree of competency on the organ and piano.
• Ability to accompany choirs and individuals and the flexibility to play all types of worship music with proficiency and sensitivity.
• Ability to sight-read.
• Ability to take direction and work as a team member.
• Ability to communicate well and in a friendly manner with the church leadership and staff.
• Ability to interact with a variety of people of all ages and musical gifts within the congregation.
• Experience in worship planning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Share organ and accompanying responsibilities with the Director of Music and Organist
• Conduct Chancel Choir in the absence of the Director.
• Accompany Chancel Choir and other choirs as needed.
• Work with the Director of Music in developing, planning and implementing music for the traditional worship services.
• Accompany soloists and instrumentalists as needed.
• Play for weddings, funerals and other special events as requested.
• Assist with annual Chancel Choir Retreat
• Help develop and assist with vocal ensembles.
• Assign robes, number and hymnals to choir members.
• Catalog and organize all new music and resources and maintain current resources.
• File music and resources for adult, youth, handbells, children and orchestra in a timely manner.
• Maintain performance records and attendance records for all choirs.
• Prepare any additional Sunday service music for Chancel Choir and Youth Choir.
• Collate music for Chancel Choir.
• Set up rooms for rehearsal and make sure they are kept neat.
• Participate in the Chancel Choir and Sanctuary Handbell Choir.
• Maintain props, costume room and all other music resources.
• Expectation of attendance for Sunday worship services, rehearsals with the Chancel Choir and other special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas Eve, Christmas, Holy Week and Easter.
• Encourage musicians within the congregation to use their talents and gifts.
• Participate in weekly worship planning and working in collaboration with the Director of Music and the Clergy to provide meaningful worship services.
• Attend Staff meetings, Administrative Council, Worship Committee.
• Attend workshops and events to keep up with new music and trends in worship.
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH CHOIR AND CHAPEL BELLS
• Oversee Youth Choir (Direct, coordinate, organize, rehearse and recruit.)
• Oversee all correspondence to members and parents.
• Plan and implement a Youth Choir Tour.
ADMINISTRATOR OF CHILDREN’S CHOIRS.
• Oversee Children’s Choir ministries on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.
• Primary communicator with the children’s choirs.
• Direct choirs as needed or serve as accompanist.
• Provide assistance and resources to directors upon request.
• Purchase refreshments and coordinate special meals.
To perform this job successfully and professionally, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty to his or her utmost ability. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to use e-mail and the internet
• Knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel
• Ability and willingness to learn various church software
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to ask pertinent questions related to job duties
• Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with all persons
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATION
• Must possess a valid Driver's License and a Social
• Security number and card
• Must have no outstanding criminal issues
• Must pass a criminal background check
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodation, which does not create undue hardship, will be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing this job employee will be required to stand (sometimes for
extended periods of time), walk, sit, talk, hear; use fingers to handle or feel; stoop,
kneel; reach with hands and arms.
Master of Sacred Music or bachelor’s degree in music with a minimum 5 years’ experience in
High degree of competency on the organ and piano
Experience in church worship, choral conducting, and service playing
Experience in Traditional worship planning
CONTACT/HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
3 references with contact information
Recording of an organ solo by candidate
Recording of candidate directing a choral performance or anthem
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Benefits include health insurance, vacation, and pension opportunity
Posting will remain open until filled. Potential interviews will be conducted in April and May
First United Methodist Church of Tupelo
United Methodist Church (UMC)