The Office of Housing and Events at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary works hard to provide affordable, safe, attractive, and comfortable housing for all students who desire to live on-campus or in one of our seminary owned apartments. Close to campus, public transportation, gorgeous Lake Michigan, and all your daily living needs, our residence halls and apartments are ideally located and well maintained.
By choosing to live in our housing, you are automatically immersed in a theological community, with academic and community life resources just steps away. The life you will experience here will enrich your education and give you an opportunity to share your life with other leaders of the church. But don't just take our word for it - come see for yourself!
Old Dorm and Loder Hall
Garrett-Evangelical has two on-campus residence halls: Old Dorm and Loder Hall. Old Dorm offers single rooms and suites. Loder Hall offers single rooms and also has a small number of rooms available for occupancy by two students. Old Dorm and Loder Hall are equipped with Wi-Fi.
Other Facilities in Loder Hall: Coin operated laundry facilities are located on all three residential floors and in the basement of Loder Hall - these will be available for all dormitory residents. Dining facilities and the Garrett Place store are located on the first floor of Loder Hall. Student mail service and vending machines are located in the Lower Level of Loder. Second floor and the Lower Level of Loder have student kitchens; student lounges are located in the Lower Level and on the first floor (cable TV in Lower Level); a TV room is located on the 3rd floor; a small chapel on 4th floor; and a prayer/study room in the Lower Level.
Want to see our buildings up close? Check out our virtual tour!
Meal Plans: All students on a residence hall contract (except those staying in the dorm one night per week) are required to be on a regular meal plan unless they have documented medical needs or unavoidable scheduling conflicts that will not enable them to be present during the hours that the cafe is open. We offer multiple levels of meal plans for students to choose from. The meal plan operates like a debit card; money is loaded on to a student's I.D. and spent by scanning your I.D. at the point of purchase. Garrett-Evangelical meal plan money is valid at the dining venue in Loder Hall and Garrett Place store only
There are a variety of apartment styles offered by the seminary. Garrett-Evangelical students get top priority for apartments, but there are often many available for other individuals who have an affiliation with either the seminary or Northwestern University (graduate students, faculty, visiting scholars). Unfortunately, we are not able to house undergraduate students.
Maple Avenue Apartments
For students with families, the Maple Avenue apartments offer full-size, one and two-bedroom units. The apartments are located less than a ten minute walk from campus. Two bedroom units are in short supply and are generally reserved for Garrett-Evangelical students with children.
The Maple Avenue apartments contain unfurnished apartments, including a living room, dining room, bathroom, kitchen, and one or two bedrooms. Laundry facilities are found in the basement, and a parking space can be rented at an additional cost in the lot directly across the street on a space availability basis. Heat and hot water are provided.
The Maple-Noyes apartments feature furnished efficiency (studio) and one-bedroom units, providing economical housing for single students. Only ten minutes from campus, Maple-Noyes also has the convenience of being above a coffee shop, barber, deli, and dry cleaner and within a block of three restaurants, and a neighborhood grocery store. Downtown Chicago is a 45 minute train ride from the 'L' stop, half a block away.
The Maple-Noyes apartments offer furnished studio and one-bedroom units that may include a bed, couch, end table, coffee table, desk, dining table and chairs, dressers, bookshelf and chairs. Studio apartments are furnished with a hide-a-bed couch to serve two functions. Laundry facilities are in the basement and a parking space may be rented in the lot across the street on a space availability basis. Hot water and heat are provided. There is a separate monthly charge for gas and electricity.
Sherman Avenue Apartments
Sherman Avenue apartments offer great convenience as a result of its ideal location. Only a five minute walk from campus and ten minutes from downtown Evanston, the apartments are set in a well-kept residential neighborhood with a playground and city park next to the building.
The Sherman Avenue apartments contain unfurnished apartments which include a living room, bathroom, kitchen, and one or two bedrooms. A limited number of these one-bedroom apartments also have an extra room for a dining room. Laundry facilities are found in the basement. Heat and hot water are provided.
Parking is an acknowledged challenge here in Evanston and on campus, but with a little planning and forethought, it is not an insurmountable problem.
At the Apartments
- Maple/Noyes Lot: $60 per month for apartment residents only. Maple and Maple/Noyes residents served first; Sherman residents only if spots remain. You must have the sticker on your car; if you are towed, it will be very expensive.
- Street parking: Please see the City of Evanston website for the latest information on street parking in Evanston.
- Guest parking: If you pay for a spot in the Maple/Noyes lot, you may give your spot to a visitor, use it for a loaner of your own, etc. BUT you MUST get another sticker from us for whatever car you park in that lot or the car will be towed. Notes left on the windshield do not count.
- City hangtags: The City of Evanston has hangtags for guests available from the City parking office. Take your lease with you to purchase. You must use a new hangtag each day and fill it out in pen, not pencil.
- Garrett Student Passes: Northwestern University allows our students to purchase passes for the big parking lot just to the south side of our campus. NU students are not permitted to buy passes for that lot. See the Northwestern University parking maps here for more information. Take your Garrett ID to the NU Parking Office at 1819 Hinman Ave. (847-491-3319) between 8:00AM and 4:00PM to get:
- A day pass hangtag (white, NOT yellow); need a new one each day that you park
- A yearly pass
- A quarterly pass (the first would be good from the beginning of the fall semester until Christmas break)
- Northwestern University Visitor's pass: This is a yellow hangtag that you can usually purchase (assuming we have a supply on hand) get from our front desk, or from the NU parking office. It is good for one day only (you must have the date scratched off or they will ticket your car). This pass is NOT good for the big lot next to our campus; if you purchase one of these you must park in any of the NU visitor lots, the nearest of which is across Sheridan Rd. just north of the Seabury campus. Other lots are further away - about a 10 minute walk back to Garrett. See the Northwestern University parking maps here for more information.
- Garrett Visitors Lot on Garrett Place: Please note that this is first and foremost a Visitor's lot and not a student lot. There will be many days when we will permit students to park in this lot, and many days when we cannot permit student parking because of an event or group on campus who will be using the lot. You may use this lot on a walk-in basis when it is available. If you are a visitor, you may also call as much as a week or two in advance to the front desk (847-866-3900) to make a reservation, at which time you should be able to find out if there will be space available. You may pay cash or check at the desk or have a charge placed on your student account. Credit cards will only be accepted if the business office is open. You will get a magnetic card to use to get into the lot and also to get out of it. You may come and go as many times as you want that day, but the card must be returned at the end of the day as you leave the lot the last time (slide the card into the return box on your way out) or you will have your student account charged $40 for a lost card. Cards will be locked out overnight and will not be good the next day.
Additional Housing Information
Housing Information, Costs, and Policies
Got questions? Make sure you read through our information - we've even included some pictures of units so you know what might best suit your needs!
- Types of Housing Available
(Note: Due to COVID-19 and for the safety of our students and campus, Old Dorm will not be available in Fall 2020.)
- Housing Policies 2019-20
- Housing Costs 2020-21
- Additional information for Northwestern applicants 2020-20201
Apply for Housing
Persons who need special accommodations should notify the Office of Housing and Events at Garrett-Evangelical in writing.