Skip to content »

Student Services

The Office of Student Life uniquely serves the Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary community by attending to the well-being of its students. The Dean of Students serves as chief advocate for Garrett-Evangelical students, provides oversight for Student Council (StuCo), and promotes a student-centered environment that fosters development and learning outside of the classroom.

Academic Accommodations for Disabilities and Medical Conditions

Academic Affairs seeks to support and assist students of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary who are considering or seeking academic accommodations because of disability or health conditions. The first step to seeking an academic accommodation is to contact Dean of Student Life and Chaplain Karen Mosby at Reasonable accommodations will only be considered for students who have met with the appropriate contact and filed appropriate paperwork and documentation.

Types of Accommodations

Accommodations can be made for students who have documented learning, physical, medical or psychological conditions. Both long-term and short term accommodations are possible.

Some examples of accommodations that might be granted are: Classroom accommodations (ensuring accessible seating, wheelchair access, etc.); exam and testing modifications, writing support, note taking support, assistive learning systems, readers, audio recordings, large print materials, and other auxiliary aids.

Paperwork and Documentation

Students who are seeking accommodation will need to fill out some forms (see items listed "Accomodations Packet" below) and review the seminary’s entire accommodation policy.

Documentation of the student’s condition, especially for hidden disabilities or chronic health conditions, must be current, completed, and signed by a professional such as a physician, psychologist, or rehabilitation counselor.

Accomodations Packet

Please direct all questions to:



Community Meal

Once a week during the academic year, a community meal is served on the first floor of Loder Hall. This meal is provided free of charge to Garrett-Evangelical students and their immediate families (only spouse, partner or children age 3+). 

Norris Center

The Norris University Center at Northwestern University, just a five minute walk from campus, has a Starbucks, Willie's Food Court, and numerous other food options.


Downtown Evanston, a 15-minute walk from campus, has a wide variety of restaurants and coffee shops. To learn more, visit the Dining and Shopping webpage on the city's website.

Health and Wellness

Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary understands the importance of taking care of the body, as well as mind and spirit.

Pastoral Care and Counseling

Current students may take advantage of of its subsized counseling program for six sessions while studying at Garrett-Evangelical. This program was established to provide support for students who are attempting to resolve issues of calling and/or who are experiencing an emotional crisis and need support in particular areas of personal development. The Office of Student Life has a list of area licensed pastoral counselors that students can explore. 

Spiritual Direction

The Office of Student Life can provide students with a list of area spiritual directors who can accompany a student on a journey of deep listening and exploration of their relationship with God.

Health Insurance

All students enrolled in five credit hours or more and all PhD students through the second year of coursework are required to have hospitalization insurance, either a current policy, which will continue to provide coverage during tenure as a student, or a policy purchased through Northwestern University. Verification of such health insurance must be made each academic year. 

The Northwestern University plan has two parts: the Hospitalization Plan and the Student Health Clinic for outpatient services. Students enrolled in the Northwestern hospitalization insurance plan are also automatically enrolled in the health service clinic. Students who have their own insurance may choose to enroll in the health service clinic.

Health Service Clinic

Outpatient health service (clinic) is available to any seminary student enrolled in six credit hours or more, through the Northwestern Student Health Service located in Searle Hall at 633 Emerson Street. There is a fee for each three-month period and is paid to the seminary for students to have access to the clinic. Students must file a medical history at Searle Hall and pay the fee each period to utilize this service, which entitles students to medical services at minimal cost.

Immunization Compliance

It is a mandatory requirement of The Illinois Department of Public Health that seminary students submit a comprehensive immunization record to the seminary. Those born after January 1, 1957, must present proof of: 1) immunity to measles (two live virus vaccinations given after 1968 and at least one month apart), 2) immunity to rubella, and mumps; 3) a primary series of diphtheria-tetanus; and 4) a diphtheria-tetanus booster within the last ten years. Students born prior to January 1, 1957, are not required to show proof of vaccinations for measles, mumps, or rubella but must show proof of a tetanus booster done within the last ten years. Records are audited annually by the state and must be in compliance prior to registration.

Although it is not required at the present time, a recent intermediate strength tuberculosis skin test is encouraged. The Student Health Service at NU provides, at minimal cost, immunizations or tests to prove students have had the diseases in question. Further information can be obtained by calling the Student Health Service at Searle Hall at 847-491-8100 for current costs and appointments.

For students covered by the Northwestern University health clinic plan, the student health service at NU provides, immunizations or tests to prove students have had the diseases in question.

COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements

Garrett expects that all students, faculty, and staff who will be present on campus will be fully vaccinated. Additionally, all individuals living in campus housing who are eligible for vaccination are required to receive a vaccine in order to stay in campus housing. Exemptions may be made for medical or religious reasons. Those individuals who are not vaccinated and have approved exemptions should continue to practice social distancing, mask wearing, testing, and self-isolation when traveling domestically and internationally. All visitors to campus are expected to provide proof of vaccination. 


Parking is an acknowledged challenge here in Evanston and on campus, but with a little planning and forethought, it is not an insurmountable problem.

At the Apartments

  • Maple/Noyes Lot: $45 per month for apartment residents only. Maple and Maple/Noyes residents served first; Sherman residents only if spots remain. You must have the sticker on your car; if you are towed, it will be very expensive.
  • Street parking: Please see the City of Evanston website for the latest information on street parking in Evanston.
  • Guest parking: If you pay for a spot in the Maple/Noyes lot, you may give your spot to a visitor, use it for a loaner of your own, etc. BUT you MUST get another sticker from us for whatever car you park in that lot or the car will be towed. Notes left on the windshield do not count.
  • City hangtags: The City of Evanston has hangtags for guests available from the City parking office for about $.20 each. Take your lease with you to purchase. You must use a new hangtag each day and fill it out in pen, not pencil.

On Campus

  • Garrett Student Passes: Northwestern University allows our students to purchase passes for the big parking lot just to the south side of our campus. NU students are not permitted to buy passes for that lot. See the Northwestern University parking maps here for more information.  Take your Garrett ID to the NU Parking Office at 1819 Hinman Ave. (847-491-3319) between 8:00AM and 4:00PM to get:
    1. A day pass hangtag (white, NOT yellow); need a new one each day that you park
    2. A yearly pass
    3. A quarterly pass (the first would be good from the beginning of the fall semester until Christmas break)
  • Northwestern University Visitor's pass: This is a yellow hangtag that you can usually purchase (assuming we have a supply on hand) get from our front desk, or from the NU parking office. It is good for one day only (you must have the date scratched off or they will ticket your car). This pass is NOT good for the big lot next to our campus; if you purchase one of these you must park in any of the NU visitor lots, the nearest of which is across Sheridan Rd. just north of the Seabury campus. Other lots are further away - about a 10 minute walk back to Garrett.  See the Northwestern University parking maps here for more information.
  • Garrett Visitors Lot on Garrett Place: Please note that this is first and foremost a Visitor's lot and not a student lot. There will be many days when we will permit students to park in this lot, and many days when we cannot permit student parking because of an event or group on campus who will be using the lot. You may use this lot on a walk-in basis when it is available. You may also call as much as a week or two in advance to the front desk (847-866-3900) to make a reservation, at which time you should be able to find out if there will be space available. You may pay cash or check at the desk or have a charge placed on your student account. No credit cards will be accepted for charges. You will get a magnetic card to use to get into the lot and also to get out of it. You may come and go as many times as you want that day, but the card must be returned at the end of the day as you leave the lot the last time (slide the card into the return box on your way out) or you will have your student account charged $40 for a lost card. Cards will be locked out overnight and will not be good the next day.

Writing Center

Writing Center

The Writing Center offers programs to support all students’ theological writing. Writing specialists provide coaching at any stage of the process, working with you to fine-tune the content, thesis, and organization of your paper. Student proofreaders also help you polish a completed draft by editing for clarity and flow and by proofreading for grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Students can access writing tutorials, handouts and checklists, documentation style guides, information on writing courses, links to helpful writing resources, ESL resources for academics, and books on research and writing.