The Resounding Word: A Lenten Journey Toward Resurrection
March 6 – April 27, 2019
Instructor: Rev. Dr. Brenda K. Buckwell
Course Fee: $200.00 (includes 2 CEUs)
Contemplative listening shapes our lives from the inside of our being to our exterior actions!
Through the spiritual disciplines presented in Fryling’s book, The Art of Spiritual Listening, and daily devotionals from Brenda’s newest manuscript, The Resounding Word: A Lenten Retreat & Devotional Journey Towards Resurrection, participants will discover how to attune heart-listening for and to the Word of God that resounds through all generations. Participants will experience:
- Creative arts prayers
- Guided mediation
- Audio, Visio and Lectio Divina
- Contemplative seeing and listening
How will you intentionally seek to listening to and for the life-giving Word of God through Lent?
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, is an international educator; national retreat leader, author, spiritual director and coach who seeks to unleash the power of Christ empowering leaders and expanding awareness of God. Brenda is adjunct faculty in spiritual formation at Ashland Theological Seminary and online for Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary and CenterQuest. With 20 years of practical application of spiritual direction, Brenda has expanded her skills to coaching through the International Coaching Federation to provide spiritual coaching for result oriented spiritual growth. An ordained elder in the United Methodist Tradition, Brenda has served as local church pastor, co-founder of Hearts on Fire: The Fellowship of UM Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders and is founder of Living Streams Flowing Water, where she currently works. Brenda received her online teaching certification from United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio. Brenda is mother of two married children and grandmother “amma” of three grandchildren. Two creative spiritual practices that she engages in frequently are swimming and ballroom dancing.
For successful completion of 2 CEUs students will:
- Post three insights and wisdom from readings and weekly presentations | Due each Wednesday
- Respond to two classmate postings weekly | Due each Friday
- Attend 2 synchronistic (at the same time) Zoom webinar conference calls | 1. The third week of Lent 2. Monday, Lent week 6
(dates and times of these webinars will be negotiated with the class for best dates and times)
- Covenant to practice 20 minutes of silence before God three times weekly | Begin - Lent week 1
- Take one contemplative photo pilgrimage | Lent week 5
The student will need for participation in this class:
- A good computer with stable internet connection. It is recommended to use Foxfire or Google Chrome as your browser. The computer needs to have a camera.
- To sign up for Zoom.us Simple instructions for sign up are on the Moodle class site.
- Buckwell, Brenda. Manuscript devotionals sent through email weekly The Resounding Word of God: A Lenten Daily Retreat and Devotional.
- Alice Fryling. 2003. The Art of Spiritual Listening. New York: Waterbrook Press. ISBN # 978-0-87788-087-5
A digital camera or photo capable cell phone.
You can withdraw from the course in writing via e-mail to email@example.com. Refunds will be provided according to this schedule:
Withdrawals received more than 45 days prior to the course's start date will receive 100% of the amount paid.
Withdrawals received between 44 to 30 days prior to the course's start date will receive 75% of the amount paid.
Withdrawals received between 29 to 16 days prior to the course's start date will receive 50% of the amount paid.
No refunds will be issued for withdrawals received 15 days or less before the course starts.