A Formational Practicum for Leaders
October 6 – November 19, 2021 | Online Course
Instructor: Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PCC
Course Fee: $200.00 (includes 2 CEUs)
To quote the singer/song writer Bob Dylan, “Times they are a changing.” The cultural shifts from the pandemic through systemic racism and violence to the theological divide invite us to discover new ways of experiencing prayer in community. This class is a retreat-like experience of formation AND a modeling for how to lead contemporary prayer practices.
Participants will engage:
- Visio Divina with major motion pictures, shorts, and classical images.
- Audio Divina with instrumental Native American flute music, Caribbean music, African drumming, and Latin American worship.
- Meditative Movement with prayer postures, hand dance, and the hand dance challenge.
- Covenant Renewal with the Lord’s Prayer Examen, Creative Writing of Haikus, Acrostic and Trinitarian Blessings.
- Photo Pilgrimage with submissions of participants photos for community praying.
- Praying in Color with Mandalas, free form, and intercession.
For successful completion of 2 CEUs students will:
Discussion Forums AND Zoom Conference Call
- Participants will share wisdom and post queries for classmates’ wisdom sharing. (Due each Monday)
- Respond to classmates’ postings weekly. (Due each Wednesday)
- Create a 4-week prayer engagement experience for your community. (Due final Friday)
Zoom Meeting Schedule
Attend two zoom calls:
- October 13, 2021 at 12:00 pm (CT)
- November 3, 2021 at 1:00 pm (CT) (Optional)
- November 19, 2021 at 12:00 pm (CT)
The student will need for participation in this class:
- This class is asynchronistic with the exception of the 2-3 zoom meetings, meaning you will post and read on your own time schedule. This works best if participants have a highspeed Internet connection and a reliable computer.
- Recommended Books:
- Brenda Buckwell, 2016. The Advent of God’s Word: Listening for the Power of the Divine Whisper. Woodstock, VT: Skylight Publishers.
- Christina Valtners Paintner and Betsey Beckman. 2010. Awakening the Creative Spirit: Bringing the Arts to Spiritual Direction. New York: Morehouse Publishing.
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell, PCC is a thoughtful innovator who increases leadership excellence and deepens awareness of God through preaching, spiritual direction, coaching, retreat leadership and education. A United Methodist elder, endorsed spiritual director and coach; Brenda is founder of Living Streams Flowing Water ministry. She teaches spiritual formation, prayer and spiritual direction at Ashland and Garrett-Evangelical Seminaries. She is part of the teaching team for CenterQuest and author of The Advent of God's Word, published by the Skylights Path Publishers and Spiritual Direction and the Metamorphosis of Church published by GBHEM Publishing. Brenda is co-founder of The Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (Hearts on fire), an Associate of Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation, Spiritual Directors International and the International Coaching Federation.
Brenda’s Doctor of Ministry in Theology and Leadership is from Garrett Evangelical Seminary. She has an online teaching certification from United Theological Seminary, Dayton and Master of Divinity from Boston University in Biblical Studies and Church History. Her undergraduate BS degree is from Bowling Green State University. As a PCC certificated coach, she is also a trained supervisor of spiritual directors.
Brenda’s enjoys swimming and ballroom dancing as spiritual disciplines. Brenda equally divided her childhood and teen years between St. Paul, MN and Bowling Green, Ohio. She continues to reside in Ohio where both her son and daughter’s families live. Her greatest delight is her children and her grandchildren for whom she strives to be Amma.
You may contact Brenda to be a speaker at your events, consult with your leadership team or schedule spiritual direction and coaching through her website www.livingstreamsflowingwater.com.
Please visit the Connectional Learning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the full list of our frequently asked questions.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Course Cancellation Policy
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary reserves the right to cancel the course if a minimum participation level is not reached. If we cancel this offering, participants will be notified of the cancellation 7 business days before the offering’s start date and will receive a full refund.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Policy for Participant Cancellation
Participants can withdraw from the course in writing via e-mail to email@example.com.
Refunds will be provided according to this schedule:
- Withdrawals received more than 30 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 100% refund.
- Withdrawals received between 29 to 16 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 50% refund.
No refunds will be issued for withdrawals received 15 days or less before the course starts.