Opportunities at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
Faculty Position in Pastoral Care and Counseling
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary continues to receive applications for an open-rank faculty position in Pastoral Care and Counseling. Selected candidates will have academic and professional expertise in the area of pastoral counseling and care with individuals and communities, and demonstrate a commitment to theological education, theological scholarship, and the formation of pastoral leaders in a variety of settings.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach across the seminary’s masters and doctoral degree programs in both residential and online formats, guide theses, qualifying exams, and dissertations, advise and mentor students preparing for a variety of ministry, clinical, and educational settings, contribute to the field of pastoral theology through ongoing learning and research, and provide advocacy and leadership in the area of pastoral care and counseling to the seminary, local churches, and wider community.
The ideal qualifications for this position are:
- A Ph.D. or Th.D. in pastoral theology, practical theology, religion and psychology, or psychology with master’s degree in a theological discipline, preferably the M.Div.
- Professional training and experience as a mental-health clinician or pastoral counselor.
- At least three years of full-time graduate-level teaching experience.
- A record of scholarly engagements and publications along with a trajectory of scholarly research and writing.
- Active participation in academic and professional associations.
- Excellent collegial skills to form working relationships in an interdisciplinary context with faculty, staff, clergy and laity while taking ownership of the seminary's articulation of its vision, mission, and identity.
The seminary is an affirmative action opportunity employer. Women, ethnic minorities, and persons from Methodist/Wesleyan traditions are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send application letter, vita, and names of three references as .docx or .pdf files to Alicia Howell, administrator for academic affairs at email@example.com. She may also be contacted at 847-866-3903. Review of dossiers will begin immediately and remain open until the position is filled. Position begins July 1, 2018.
Garrett-Evangelical, founded in 1853, is a graduate school of theology related to The United Methodist Church. Located on the campus of Northwestern University, the seminary serves more than 500 students from many denominations and cultural backgrounds, fostering an atmosphere of ecumenical interaction. Garrett-Evangelical creates bold leaders through master of divinity, master of arts, master of theological studies, doctor of philosophy and doctor of ministry degrees. Its 4,500 living alumni serve church and society around the world.
External Job Board
To submit a position opening, please send a job description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Job postings will remain on our website for 60 days unless otherwise noted. Please note, Garrett-Evangelical reserves the right to choose which jobs are posted on the job board. Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary does not screen or recommend candidates for posted positions, makes no representations regarding the employers or positions listed herein, and takes no responsibility for persons hired into positions advertised on this job board.