International students may apply for admission beginning in fall semesters only. The deadline for submitting a completed application is March 1st.
A completed application consists of:
- Online Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- 3 letters of reference
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions attended
- $75 Application fee
- Demonstration of English Proficiency (TOEFL or degree taught in English)
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of all applicants for whom English is not the first language and who have not completed a postsecondary degree where instruction was in English. Results are forwarded to Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary (Educational Testing Service code #1245). A minimum TOEFL scores, as follows, is required for admission:
- Internet-based for PhD, MTS, DMin = 100; for MA and MDiv = 88
- Computer-based for PhD, MTS, DMin = 250; for MA and MDiv = 230
Form I-20 Application Instructions
Steps for New Students
Newly admitted students can begin the process of obtaining a F-1 visa stamp. Read about the steps to this process below, and plan for arrival and entry into the U.S.
- Upon admission to Garrett-Evangelical, you are ready to start the visa process.
- In order for you to apply for a student visa at a U.S. consulate, you need to obtain Form I-20 from the Office of Student Life at Garrett-Evangelical. To initiate this process, please complete and submit the I-20 Request Form to the Admissions Office at Garrett-Evangelical. Within this form, you will find the estimate of expenses for the 2018-2019 academic year, required financial documentation needed, sponsor statement of support form, student endorsement form for MA and MDiv applicants and required deposit information.
- Once we have received your completed I-20 Request Form and all the accompanying materials, your file will be taken to the Office of Student Life in order for your I-20 to be processed. Once the I-20 has been issued, you will receive an email from the Office of Student Life.
- While you wait for the I-20 to arrive, you will want to a.) pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and b.) visit website of nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to learn about visa appointment requirements.
- Receive your I-20 and review it for correctness.
- Schedule your F-1 visa appointment.
- Obtain F-1 visa: placed by US Embassy/Consulate in your passport.
- Plan travel to Evanston/Chicago: Permitted entry 30-days before the I-20 start date.
- Meet fellow students and make friends at the International Student Orientation, August 21-24, 2018.
If you are currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, you must submit the items listed above (Affidavits of Support, copies of bank statements or bank letters, and your International Student Enrollment Deposit) before submitting the Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Transfer-In Form.