Deacon Fellows Program
Deacon Fellows Program
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary has been a leader in preparing students for ministry as a deacon since The United Methodist Church created the Order of Deacons in 1996. In 1998, Garrett-Evangelical became the first seminary to create a Deacon Studies program and hired Rev. Dr. Margaret Ann Crain as the first Director of Deacon Studies. Today, Rev. Dr. Virginia Lee, a deacon in the Virginia Conference, serves as director of the program. She and the entire Garrett-Evangelical community help to provide a supportive environment for students to continue to discern their call and vocation.
As a Deacon Fellow, a student will be a part of a cohort that:
- has meals together with the Director of Deacon Studies, Rev. Dr. Virginia Lee, once or twice a semester;
- has opportunities to network with deacons in the Chicagoland area;
- connects through a Garrett-Evangelical Deacons Facebook group;
- is invited to the Deacon Dialogue –a gathering for deacons from around the country, every other year, for workshops, worship and networking; and
- has opportunities for internships both inside and outside of the local church, including an internship at Garrett-Evanston Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools Program.
To learn more about the Fellows Program at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, contact our Admissions Office at 1.800.SEMINARY (outside of Chicago), 847.866.3998, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Director
Rev. Dr. Virginia Lee
Rev. Dr. Virginia Lee joined Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary as associate professor of Christian education and director of deacon studies in 2011. Lee has served in various capacities at numerous churches as a deacon in full connection in the Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church. In addition to her work as a professor and director of deacon studies, Lee has been instrumental in the creation and launch of the Garrett-Evanston Children's Defense Fund Freedom Schools Program. She currently serves as co-executive director of the program.
Lee's academic accolades include receiving the Diaconal Advance Graduate Award and being the first recipient of the Rosalie Bentzinger Graduate Award, both of which are given by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church. She has also published articles in both academic and lay journals and has been an active participant in educational and ministerial forums and conferences. Lee earned her doctor of education from Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education, master of religious education from Duke Divinity School, and bachelor of arts from The College of William and Mary.
Garrett-Evangelical has been proud to host Deacon Dialogue conferences since 2007. These conferences bring together United Methodist deacons and deacon candidates from across the connection for a time of worship, networking, fellowship, and workshops. Rev. Dr. Margaret Ann Crain, deacon, emeritus professor, and former director of deacon studies, put it best when she said, "United Methodist deacons need to speak clearly to the church about who we are and what God has called us to do. Deacon Dialogue provides an opportunity to meet together, hear from some of our most articulate deacons, and share in the efforts to clarify, for the United Methodist Church, the unique contribution of deacons to the mission of Jesus Christ.”
United Methodist Faculty Members
- Rev. Dr. Cheryl Anderson, Professor of Old Testament
- Rev. Dr. Ron Anderson, Ernest and Bernice Styberg Professor of Worship
- Rev. Dr. Gennifer Brooks, Ernest and Bernice Styberg Professor of Preaching
- Rev. Dr. Barry Bryant, Associate Professor of United Methodist and Wesleyan Studies
- Dr. Lucy Chung, Director of the Styberg Library and Assistant Professor of Pastoral Theology
- Rev. Dr. Timothy Eberhart, Murray H. Leiffer Associate Professor of Public Theology and Ministry
- Rev. Dr. Dong Hyeon Jeong, Assistant Professor of New Testament
- Rev. Dr. Viriginia Lee, Associate Professor of Christian Education and Director of Deacon Studies
- Dr. Rolf Nolasco, Rueben P. Job Professor of Spiritual Formation and Pastoral Theology
- Dr. Hendrik Pieterse, Associate Professor of Global Christianity and Intercultural Theology
- Dr. Lallene J. Rector, Associate Professor of Psychology of Religion and Pastoral Psychotherapy and President Emerita
- Dr. Luis Rivera, Associate Professor of Theology
- Rev. Dr. Mark Teasdale, E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism
- Rev. Dr. Mai-Anh Le Tran, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Academic Dean, Associate Professor of Religious Education and Practical Theology
- Rev. Dr. Javier A. Viera, President and Professor of Education and Leadership