Garrett-Evangelical is blessed to have alums and friends across the U.S. and around the globe. Since it isn’t always possible for you to visit campus, we are making an effort to offer Connectional Learning opportunities closer to you—initially in states within the North Central Jurisdiction of The United Methodist Church. You should also check this page often to determine when and where you might be able to see one of our faculty members who is lecturing in a domestic or international location near you.
Garrett on the Road
Garrett on the Road offers a faculty-led lecture or workshop in partnership with a church outside of the Evanston/Chicago area. We invite our alums in that area or state, members of the church hosting us, and local social service organizations, prospective students, and clergy and laity that may be interested in the topic of that particular event. We also plan additional events around the workshop for Garrett-Evangelical faculty and staff to spend time with prospective students and alums.
2018-2019 Garrett on the Road
Hope for Creation - Whitewater, Wisconsin
September 29, 2018 | First United Methodist Church
145 S. Prairie St., Whitewater, WI 53190
More Information Coming Soon!
Styberg Preaching Peer Learning Groups
The Styberg Preaching Institute, with support from Lilly Endowment Inc., has launched A Partnership in Effective Proclamation. This program focuses on developing effective preachers for the church in the twenty-first century. A key component of this program is the formation of Peer Learning Groups for local church pastors under the direction of trained facilitators. There are currently Peer Learning Groups meeting in
- Greater Chicago Metropolitan Area
- Rockford, Illinois
- Gary, Indiana
- White Plains, New York
- Norfolk, Virginia
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
To learn more about the Peer Learning Groups and apply to facilitate or join a group, please visit Garrett.edu/StybergPreaching.
Faculty Off-Campus Conferences and Events
Each year members of our faculty are asked to speak at various conferences and events. It can be a challenge to stay ahead of their numerous engagements, but for the 2017-18 academic year and beyond we hope to be able to list when and where you can engage with our faculty when they are off campus and, hopefully, at a location near you.
- July 16-20, 2018, Dr. Reginald Blount, Assistant Professor of Formation, Youth, and Culture and Dr. Virginia Lee, Associate Professor of Christian Education and Director of Deacon Studies are teaching faculty and and Dr. Mai-Anh Le Tran, Associate Professor of Religious Education and Practical Theology, will contribue to the Children's Defense Fund's Samuel DeWitt Proctor Institute for Child Advocacy Ministry taking place at Haley Farm in Clinton, TN. To learn more, click here.
- July 26-29, 2018, Dr. Timothy Eberhart, Assistant Professor of Theology and Ecology, will be a panelist for "United Methodist Resources for Addressing Climate Change" at the United Methodist Creation Care Summit in St. Paul, MN. To learn more, click here.
- July 26, 2018, Dr. Mark Teasdale, E. Stanley Jones Associate Professor of Evangelism, will provide the Aus Lecture at Luther Seminary's Rethinking Stewardship Conference titled, "Stewards of God’s Mysteries, Leaders for the World," in Minneapolis, MN. To learn more, click here.
- August 12-19, 2018, Dr. Mark Teasdale, E. Stanley Jones Associate Professor of Evangelism, and Dr. Hendrik Pieterse, Associate Professor of Global Christianity and World Religions, will participate in the "Mission and Evangelism" working group; Dr. Timothy Eberhart, Assistant Professor of Theology and Ecology, will participate in the "Theology and Ethics" working group; Dr. Barry Bryant, Associate Professor of United Methodist and Wesleyan Studies, will participate in the "Wesley Studies" working group at the Oxford Institute of Methodist Theological Studies taking place at Pembroke College, Oxford. To learn more, click here.
- November 3, 2018, Dr. Frederick Schmidt, Rueben P. Job Associate Professor of Spiritual Formation, will be the keynote speaker at a one day retreat at Grace United Methodist Church in Joliet, IL. The retreat is sponsored by the Northern Illinois Conference Spiritual Formation Committee and is titled, "Prayer for Discernment: Changing the Way We Do Church." Registration will be available on the Northern Illinois Conference website in early fall.