Celtic Spirituality: Experiencing God in the Everyday
October 16 – November 26, 2019
Instructor: Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell
Course Fee: $200.00 (includes 2 CEUs)
Registration Deadline: October 9, 2019
In the midst of transition and ever-changing life, it is imperative to be grounded in the heart of God. Join Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell as we discover six ancient paths of prayer in the Celtic tradition. Together we will:
- Discover a deep love of creation.
- Engage a sense of belonging to One God, The Trinity of Love.
- Explore poetry, prayers and music.
- Practice living everyday joy.
From the newest person of prayer to the experienced pray-er, all will uncover the ancient wisdom of the Celts for contemporary devotion. As we share Daily Prayer Hours across the tradition and miles, our hearts will be grounded in a rhythm of stability for the ever-changing 21st century.
For successful completion of 2 CEUs you will:
- Post three insights and wisdom from readings and weekly presentations. Due each Wednesday.
- Respond to at least two classmates' postings weekly. Due each Friday.
- From the Celtic Devotions book, pray morning and evening prayers in the comfort of your home on your time schedule. Due 4 days per week.
- Write various styles of prayers as exampled in Celtic Prayer book. Due Saturdays weekly.
- An optional reflection paper on your spiritual journey with Celtic prayer. Due Friday, November 22, 2019.
To participate in the class you will need:
- This class is asynchronistic, meaning you will post, read, and watch the music videos on your own time schedule, with the exception of one final video class. The time and date of this final Zoom video conference will be determined by the class through the discussion board. Simple instructions for sign up for a Zoom.us video conference will be available on the Moodle class site.
- Miller, Calvin. 2007. The Path of Celtic Prayer: An Ancient Way to Everyday Joy. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press. ISBN #978-0-8308-3504-1
- Miller, Calvin. 2008. Celtic Devotions. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press. ISBN # 978-0-8308-3505-8
- Sounds of the Eternal by John Philip Newell on YouTube. Links to the YouTube videos will be on the Moodle class site.
About Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell
Rev. Dr. Brenda Buckwell is an educator, national retreat leader, author, spiritual director and life coach who seeks to unleash the power of Christ for life’s watershed moments through empowerment and formation of individuals, small groups, congregations and for leadership training. Brenda is adjunct faculty in spiritual formation at Ashland Theological Seminary and online for Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary and CenterQuest. With 20 years of practical application in spiritual direction, Brenda has expanded her skills to coaching through the International Coaching Federation to provide spiritual coaching for result oriented spiritual growth. An ordained elder in the Methodist Tradition for over 30 years, Brenda has served as church pastor, co-founder of Hearts on Fire: The Fellowship of UM Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders and is founder of Living Streams Flowing Water, where she currently works. Brenda received her online teaching certification from United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio. \Two of her favorite spiritual disciplines are swimming and ballroom dancing. Brenda strives to be Amma for her children and grandchildren.
Please visit the Connectional Learning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the full list of our frequently asked questions.
Want to learn more about the online courses offered through the Rueben P. Job Institute? Please visit the Rueben P. Job Institute Online Courses in Spiritual Formation/Direction webpage.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Course Cancellation Policy
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary reserves the right to cancel the course if a minimum participation level is not reached. If we cancel this offering, participants will be notified of the cancellation 7 business days before the offering’s start date and will receive a full refund.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary Policy for Participant Cancellation
Participants can withdraw from the course in writing via e-mail to email@example.com.
Refunds will be provided according to this schedule:
- Withdrawals received more than 30 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 100% refund.
- Withdrawals received between 29 to 16 days prior to the course's start date will receive: 50% refund.
No refunds will be issued for withdrawals received 15 days or less before the course starts.