Youth Ministry Intern
ABOUT THE EDGEWATER CONGREGATIONS TOGETHER YOUTH GROUP:
The Edgewater Congregations Together (E.C.T.) Youth Group is a multicultural,
LGBTQIA+ affirming, collaborative youth ministry that consists of 6 th -12 th graders
from Unity, Ebenezer, and Immanuel Lutheran (ELCA) congregations, as well as
youth from the community in the neighborhood of Edgewater in Chicago. Youth
gather two Wednesdays a month (usually the second and fourth Wednesdays of the
month) for worship, faith and life discussions, and group-building activities. They
also participate in special events, retreats, justice actions and/or service-learning
projects, and trips throughout the year. The youth group’s mission is to develop
disciples of Jesus who live out their faith in their daily lives by proclaiming the good
news of God’s love for all.
- Gain valuable experience serving in a multicultural, collaborative, urban
youth ministry setting.
- Learn how smaller congregations can use creative models of collaborative
partnerships and shared ministry staff.
- Be mentored by the E.C.T. Pastor with Youth and Households.
- Strengthen and learn new youth ministry skills.
DURATION AND TIME COMMITMENT:
- Approximately 12-14 hours per month (some months will require more
hours due to special events)
- Must be able to participate in mid-week youth group gatherings, which take
place two Wednesdays a month from 5:15-9:15pm; attend weekend youth
retreat, all-night lock-in, and at least two other special events or fundraisers.
Other work hours are flexible.
- Mid-September through late-May
- Potential to extend into the summer
- $175 per month for the duration of nine months
- Have a Christian sense of call to compassion and service.
- Have a passion for working with youth.
- Be able to serve in a multicultural, ecumenical, LGBTQIA+ affirming setting.
- Pass a Background Check (provided by E.C.T. Youth Ministry).
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ideal but not limited to a first year seminary student.
- Fully participate in and help with Wednesday night youth group gatherings
in the following ways: connect with youth during meals, games, activities,
and hang out times; help set up before and clean up after program;
participate in and help with worship and large group discussions; lead a
small group of youth in reflections and discussions; plan and lead at least
three large group discussions, activities and games throughout the year.
- Attend and connect with youth during the all-night lock-in (1/17-1/18), and
at least three other special events during the year.
- Assist with the youth-led Ascension Day service (evening of 5/21) and full
run-through rehearsal (evening of 5/14). (There will not be Wednesday
youth group gatherings during the month of May.)
- Mentor some of the youth by attending their events and/or meeting with
them outside of regular programming.
- Sign up, oversee, and train youth group volunteers.
- Communicate with youth about upcoming events.
- Attend at least one Sunday morning service at Unity, Ebenezer, and
Immanuel Lutheran churches.
- Meet with E.C.T. Pastor with Youth and Households regularly for mentoring
Send the following to E.C.T. Pastor with Youth and Households, Emily Heitzman at
email@example.com: (Don’t forget the “h” in the email.)
- Three references (at least one should be church or religious affiliated)
- Short essay describing a little about your faith journey and why you would
benefit from this internship and mentoring program.
Thursday, September 5, 2019
Edgewater Congregations Together Youth Group