Worship Music and Arts Director
Have a passion for the arts in worship?!
Apply to be the Director of Music and Worship Arts at First Presbyterian Church of Deerfield!
As the world rises from the changes brought about by the COVID pandemic, First Presbyterian is looking for an innovative resilient leader who loves Christ’s people and has vision for building and rebuilding expression in worship with musical and other worship arts. Join a team and congregation that works hard, cares, equips and means to participate in and follow God’s good in the world.
First Presbyterian Church of Deerfield
824 Waukegan Road
Deerfield, IL 60015
Worship Arts Director
The Worship Music and Arts Director will develop and oversee the music and arts program of First Presbyterian Church of Deerfield. The director will recruit, provide direction, lead and mentor those who serve the congregation through the ministry of the arts. The Worship Music and Arts Director leads people to engage in authentic worship encounters with God through music and the arts. The role of the Worship Music and Arts Director is to lead all aspects of the worship life, developing volunteer worship leaders by envisioning, equipping, and mobilizing their diverse musical talents and creative artistic expressions. The role develops worshipers at every age and stage—including children, youth, and adults—in the context of multi-generational traditional and contemporary services, both in-person and livestreamed. The director is part of the ministry team, works closely with the worship planning team and reports directly to the pastor. The director coordinates music and other artful aspects of worship services and other church events. The director combines leadership and expertise in producing virtual as well as in-person worship arts experiences.
· Manage overall music and arts program for FPCD in close partnership with HOS and Worship Council and Music Committee
· Ensure the music and arts program actively support the worship and church programming
· Build, direct, coordinate, and develop worship teams, including the worship band, song leaders and tech volunteers. This includes leading weekly rehearsals, scheduling team members, posting music and chord charts, and other necessary elements for the band each week.
· Oversee and lead the children, youth and high school singing program and adult choir.
· Further develop the musics and arts ministry in worship leveraging the unique gifts of our church members (e.g. student ministry band, drama, and other use of arts).
· Participate in all production and creative meetings, including weekly worship design team meetings, assisting in the overall programming and execution of creative elements in the worship experience (i.e., livestreaming, songs, video elements, props, etc.).
· Manage the technical staff that helps with in person and on-line services.
· Assist with providing music at occasional services such as weddings, funerals, special services, or arrange for others to do so.
· Manage the music budget in accordance with the financial policies of the church.
· Manage and maintain the musical instruments, worship facilities and music technology equipment, keeping up to date with current developments.
Abilities and Skills
· The successful candidate will be an accomplished musician and choral candidate
· Have strong knowledge of the liturgical church year
· Oversee, train and support volunteers
· Strong program, project management and administrative capabilities
· While formal background in theology is not required, the worship and arts director should understand how music can enhance worship in the Presbyterian Church USA and demonstrate familiarity with Christian doctrine and best practices
· Develop relationships and collaborate with local artists
· Incorporate and leverage the arts in support of the congregation’s call to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly.
· Equipped with a well-developed creative sensibility and passion, the director will oversee and incorporate works of art into worship so that creative expression and member engagement are encouraged.
· Degree in choral conducting is preferred
· Experience directing choirs and leading worship through music
· Knowledge of religious, classical, contemporary, choral, organ and piano repertory
· Knowledge, proficiency and performance ability with piano, keyboard and organ
· Eclectic interest in music as ministry, appreciation of musicians, and ability to train volunteers.
· Technology skills to assist with online worship
· Flexible hours per week but generally the role would require 20 hours/week including weekends and two to three evenings to direct teams and practices.
· Work remotely during COVID-19
· Website: firstpresdf.org
· Salaried, commensurate with experience
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com, or 1st Presbyterian Church, 824 Waukegan Road, Deerfield, IL 60015, Attn. Worship Arts Director Search.