Status: Regular, Full-Time
Reports to: Associate Pastor for Youth and Worship
The Worship Coordinator is a key member of the staff, responsible for supporting the worship life of the congregation. In conjunction with the Associate Pastor for Youth and Worship, the Coordinator organizes, communicates, and assists in the implementation of the elements of weekly worship, special services, and online worship offerings. The position is accountable to the Associate Pastor for Youth and the Worship and the Music, Worship and Arts Committee of the Session of Fourth Presbyterian Church.
Schedule: The Coordinator is a full-time, 40 hour/week position. The Coordinator is required all day on Sundays as part of the work week and on holidays such as Christmas Eve, Christmas and Easter; weekdays otherwise. Occasional evening work may be needed.
- With input from the Associate Pastor for Youth and Worship, provide for clergy and volunteer Worship leadership at Sunday services and special services (Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, The Easter Vigil, The Longest Night, Lessons and Music), including managing the weekly clergy worship schedule
- Maintain the schedule in ACS (in-house database) for all worship events, worship volunteer lists, records related to worship attendance, weekly hymn list, special services, and weekly preaching/worship leading archive.
- Recruit and support a diverse team of volunteer worship leaders (Lay Liturgists, Chancel Guild, Communion Coordinators and Servers), serving as the primary staff liaison to the Ushers
- Provide on-site support for Sunday and special services
- Serve regularly as a worship leader at the 4:00 worship service, leading prayers and reading Scripture
- Serve as the primary leader of Fourth’s weekly morning prayer ministry, coordinating clergy leadership and providing regular leadership
- Provide administrative support to the Worship, Music, and the Arts Committee, including taking meeting minutes.
- Interface with guest preachers and manage all details related to travel, scheduling, liturgy coordination, compensation, and archive.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- A demonstrated ability to:
- Act independently, organize workload, set priorities, work well under deadline pressure, adapt to changes and handle confidential material.
- Develop a systematic approach to carrying out assignments; prioritize objectives with supervisor direction and coordinating multiple activities.
- Change approaches or methods based upon circumstances to achieve the desired results.
- Relate to and interact with all congregation members, colleagues, and other staff members in a positive way that results in cooperation, mutual respect, and common benefit.
- Use the organization’s principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights.
- Functional and administrative know-how with collaborative software tools like Microsoft Outlook, Teams and Sharepoint and ACS (in-house database)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Desire and aptitude for working within a faith-based and multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to equity and social justice and a proven ability to thrive in a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive environment.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (English, Communication, Religious studies, etc) plus relevant work experience, required.
- Experience in worship leadership, professional or volunteer, including music, prayers, Scripture reading, or preaching
- This position requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Requires ability to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects up to 10 lbs.
$37,000 to $46,000, with benefits.
Apply by emailing resume to firstname.lastname@example.org