Public Affairs & Innovation Manager
You are excited about and energized by working within the 21st century digital landscape – particularly as it relates to religious diversity. You are an effective communicator, social media strategist and have a proven ability to move work forward and get things done. You thrive in a fast-paced, adaptable environment where one day won’t look like the next. You enjoy working collaboratively and liaising across multiple complex projects with various stakeholders. You hold yourself and your work to a high bar of excellence and take personal responsibility for achieving your goals.
• Project manage all public affairs initiatives in support of the overall public narrative strategy
• Act as a strategic thought partner to the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation by brainstorming ideas to support IFYC’s public affairs strategy and initiatives
• Partner with Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation to manage our relationship with a PR firm and act as a ‘client team’ liaison internally
• Project manage the execution of IFYC’s podcast which would include managing the editorial podcast calendar, liaising internally to coordinate speakers and content, managing recording, production and editing process, and participating in the podcast on occasion
• Work closely with the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation to support deepening key relationships and following-up on leads with journalists, media partners and other VIPs
• Respond to media requests in a timely manner in partnership with the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation
• Maintain media list within Salesforce – ensuring all contacts are updated, relationship notes are added and email correspondence is saved
• Monitor the media request webform and respond in consultation with the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation
• Craft pitch lists from Muckrack and Salesforce
• Coordinate approval process for press releases and pitch lists
• Copy edit and fact-check public affairs materials
• Support Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation in research and development for IFYC’s innovation work, beginning with online and hybrid interfaith learning.
• Serve as internal point person and project manage all online and hybrid learning initiatives
• Research and stay ahead of trends in online learning, public affairs, social media, technology, storytelling.
• Identify areas of possibilities for new collaborations in areas of innovation and online and hybrid learning.
• Model interfaith leadership online by writing clear and compelling content, sharing stories of a ‘religiously diverse potluck nation’ that welcomes the contributions of all in a spirit of pluralism, for IFYC’s public narrative strategy and for our Founder and President, Eboo Patel
• Develop and maintain a social media content calendar for IFYC’s public narrative strategy and for Founder and President, Eboo Patel, and coordinate with existing content calendar held by Marketing & Communications team
• Monitor news and current events in our issue areas (religious diversity, interfaith, higher education) and work closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications and the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation to develop and vet social content based on current opportunities to maximize visibility and impact
• Build a sense of community amongst IFYC’s network by engaging with our constituents on various social media platforms to inspire them with the message of being the leaders of an interfaith potluck nation
• Build and expand IFYC’s partnerships with journalists on social media
• Stay up-to-date on new social media tools and best practices; monitor analogous organizations and other social media leaders to see how they are using them to be the early adopter of technologies
• Coordinate with the Director of Marketing & Communications and the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation to ensure a consistent voice across channels
• A Bachelor’s degree in public affairs, public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, religion, education, or a related field
• 3-6 years of experience in public affairs, public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, religion, education, or a related field
• Strong project management and organizational skills
• Proven client service skillset
• Demonstrated technical knowledge
• Track record of building social media platforms with increased engagement and numbers.
• An entrepreneurial mindset, with a track record of advancing innovative new projects and forming valuable partnerships
• Drive to build relationships with targeted national, local and international media across a variety of mediums, including: online media, print media, broadcast and podcasts/radio
• Demonstrated ability to quickly generate compelling, error-free prose
• Collaborative nature; adaptable to change, and agility in problem-solving
• Ability to manage external vendor relationships – holding to account on deliverables, deadlines and quotes
• Willing to learn and utilize organization-wide constituent relationship management software (Salesforce)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Authorization to work in the United States
• High level of religious literacy and fluency in diversity, pluralism, and inclusion
• Passionate commitment to IFYC’s mission of making interfaith cooperation a social norm
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to liaise with VIP guests and VIP contacts
• Be flexible, willing to pivot and respond to the changing needs and landscape of the media
Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) has grown and evolved since our founding in 2002, adapting fearlessly to meet the complex challenges of 21st century worldview diversity. We have gone from running interfaith youth programs in church, mosque, and synagogue basements to shaping a national narrative about the power and potential of civic religious pluralism while focusing on the society-transforming power of higher education. Today, we are engaging with administrators, faculty, students and leaders across hundreds of campuses and higher education associations deepening relationships and building interfaith cooperation. In IFYC’s newly completed business plan, Interfaith America, we will continue build on our success in higher education while expanding our work with a focus on advancing a national narrative of interfaith cooperation and committing to an innovation area, online and hybrid learning. Because of this growth, we’re ever adapting and changing. We look for people who set audacious goals and love that one work day may not be like the next. We are serious about our vision of an America where people of different faiths, worldviews, and traditions bridge divides and find common values to build a shared life together. We seek to build a team comprised of the diverse identities we need to achieve our vision, and we strongly encourage candidates who are underrepresented in many interfaith spaces to apply. Learn more about our core values on our website.
Compensation and Benefits: $55,000 – $65,000 annually plus free medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employee-only coverage. Those who wish to cover their dependents can contribute through payroll for dependent health coverage. Generous time off policies that include paid time off, floating holidays, fixed holidays, sick leave and paid parental leave.
Application: please upload your cover letter that includes why you want to work at IFYC and your resume
Application deadline: December 8, 2019
Start Date: approximately January 20, 2020