Pastor of Discipleship
Centennial UMC in Roseville and St. Paul (St. Anthony Park) is seeking an individual who has attained or is working towards attaining deacon status to be a pastor of discipleship and oversee all discipleship ministries at this 1,100-member Reconciling church.
Currently the pastor of discipleship position also includes serving as the children’s ministry coordinator. The pastor of discipleship will oversee recruitment, training and deployment of volunteer discipleship staff for adult, youth and children’s ministry in partnership with the student coordinator and young adult coordinator. The pastor of discipleship will also serve as the primary architect for guest assimilation, adult discipleship and small group opportunities within the life of Centennial UMC.
Accountable to:senior pastor
- Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and has a personal, passionate faith.
- Demonstrates empathy, compassion and an evangelistic heart.
- Models standards and expectations of leadership within Centennial UMC including a personal devotional life, worship attendance, generosity in giving, serving/witnessing, small group participation, and a dedication to personal development and a healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrates devotional adherence to the Deacon’s calling to a ministry of word, service, compassion, and justice as defined in the Book of Discipline. Deacons lead the congregation in its servant ministry and equip and support all baptized Christians in their ministry.
- Strives to embody the teachings of Jesus in servant ministries and servant leadership.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a Masters of Divinity preferred.
- Proven track record of success in a paid discipleship position preferred, with the ability to motivate and supervise staff and layperson teams.
- Has attained or is working towards attaining Deacon status.
Skills / Qualifications
- Expertise and experience in designing and implementing discipleship opportunities and curriculum.
- Track record of successful recruiting, equipping, and deploying of volunteer teams and lay leaders.
- Ability to lead paid discipleship staff to grow disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Self-starter that is able to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Systems thinker, planner and implementer.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Student of lifestyle issues, cultural trends and trends in faith formation.
- Supervise the nursery & childcare coordinator and oversee Centennial’s Early Childhood (birth-3) Ministry.
- Supervise children’s ministry coordinator at the SAP Campus.
- Recruit and supervise youth/young adult and children’s ministry staff and lay leaders (mentor, coach, set objectives and goals, hold accountable), partnering with them to develop and implement innovative discipleship opportunities and growth across all ages as part of the overall door-to-core strategy.
- Provide vision and direction for all aspects of adult discipleship ministry.
- Recruit, equip and deploy lay volunteers who will lead adult discipleship classes and life groups.
- Select or create adult discipleship curriculum or resources that support the overall door-to-core church strategy.
- Develop and deploy communication strategies that keep the church family informed and inspired about spiritual growth opportunities.
- Build "radical hospitality" into all aspects of discipleship opportunities.
- Partner with the director of missions to link local, national and global “on mission” initiatives with opportunities to deepen discipleship across all ages.
- Build volunteer teams that will design and deploy a new guest follow-up and assimilation process.
Review of applications will begin March 31. Deacons, elders, and laypersons encouraged to apply. Please email resume to Brian Hacklander at firstname.lastname@example.org.