Our Saviour’s United Methodist Church
701 East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194
Our Saviour’s United Methodist Church in Schaumburg, IL is seeking an organist/accompanist (part-time) to lead music during worship services and accompany the chancel choir. Our sanctuary instruments include a Yamaha Grand Piano and an Allen Digital Organ, model Quantum 370, 58 stop, 3 manual console with 7 distinctive stop list libraries and a Vista Navigator midi device with hundreds of additional voices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Demonstrate an attitude of enthusiasm, cooperation, and positive attitude. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principle functions.
- Executing the keyboarding demands and timing of each Sunday services as required.
- Be chief accompanist for the adult (Chancel Choir); attend one weekday evening rehearsal and any necessary additional rehearsals that may be required by the Director of Worship Ministries.
- Lead the congregation in the singing of hymns.
- Sight-read music at an adequate level for previewing of Choral, Solo or Instrumental music.
- Accompany special musical offerings by Chancel choir, soloists, and ensembles, as requested.
- Provide music for Holy Week Services, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter Services.
- Choose, prepare and present solo keyboard material in the form of preludes (processionals) and postludes (recessionals).
- Choose, prepare and present appropriate background worship music for use during offering/communion and other special parts of the service as designated or requested by Director of Worship Ministries and/or the Pastor.
- Present special solo organ works when requested.
- Provide accompaniment for Weddings, Funerals and Memorial services hosted by OSUMC (these adjunct events will receive additional compensation through private parties).
- Establish weekly rehearsal time at the organ/piano with the church office so appropriate accommodations are available.
- Responsible for securing any "last minute" emergency keyboard substitutes in coordination/cooperation with the Director of Worship Ministries, Pastor, and SPRC. In case of vacations, leave of absences and special services, will secure a qualified substitute.
- Attend staff meetings and worship committee meeting as requested.
- Abide by and enforce the Safe Sanctuary policies of the church and the Northern Illinois Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Help support and fulfill the mission, vision, core values, and goals of the church alongside the Pastor and Church Ministry leaders.
Job Requirements. Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Music required (emphasis on keyboards, organ or piano/sacred music)
- Master’s degree in organ/sacred music preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years work experience as a church organist preferred.
- Experience with Liturgical and non-liturgical services.
- Extensive training/study/experience in keyboard music with emphasis on sacred studies and experience.
- Appropriate sight-reading skills.
- Demonstrated accompanying skills.
- Knowledge of modulation, service playing, improvisation, new techniques are 'pluses".
- Strong interest in staying abreast of new materials/music/and sacred trends essential.
- Ability to work well with staff, church members and other musicians.
- Some choral directing experience preferred.