Nursery Lead Teacher
First United Methodist Church of Evanston
Nursery Lead Teacher Job Description
Church Mission Statement
First Church is a vibrant, accepting congregation that welcomes all who seek God, inclusive of age, race, education, economic status, sexual orientation and special needs. Through worship, Christian education for all ages, fellowship, and mission opportunities for children, youth, and adults, we seek to grow in faith as disciples of Jesus Christ and to work for justice, peace and mercy in the world.
Children’s Ministry Mission
The mission of the Children's Ministry at First Church is to build a community of children and families who grow in their practice of Christian living through worship, service, learning, and fellowship in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment
Nursery Ministry Purpose
To provide safe, secure, nurturing, clean and efficient care to our children ages 0-3. Ministry responsibilities include playing with the children or directing their play, reading stories, praying, exhibiting patience and love, and relating the events of the day to the lesson and theme in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Oversee the nursery and toddler room on Sunday mornings for infants and children up to age 3.
- Provide age-appropriate care including feeding, changing diapers, maintaining a safe environment, putting children down for naps, holding, and sitting with.
- Plan and implement age-appropriate curriculum that supports the Children’s Ministry mission and cheerfully engaging with children through games, stories, crafts, and play.
- Welcome and communicate with children, teaching assistant, parents, church staff, and volunteers with politeness, friendliness, and courtesy.
- Abide by nursery policies and UMC “Safe Gathering’s” guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with volunteers and other staff.
- Promote and support FUMC and Children’s Ministry activities.
- Meet with church staff weekly.
- Be familiar with emergency procedures.
- 20-23 hours per month
- Work every Sunday from September 15 through June 7, 2020, including any holidays falling on Sundays, from 8:30 AM-12:00 PM
- Meet with the Children's Ministry Coordinator on a weekly basis.
- Provide two weeks’ notice for planned absences.
- Report unexpected absences by 7:30 am on Sunday by telephoning the Children’s Ministry Coordinator.
- Attend training on prevention and reporting child abuse.
- Participate in evaluation twice a year.
- Additional hours of nursery supervision during special church events may be requested.
- Reports to Children’s Ministry Coordinator
- Additional support from Pastor of Youth & Family and Children's Council
- Experienced in the care of children 0-4 years of age with the ability to adapt and interact with a variety of personalities/characteristics. Bachelor’s in early childhood education preferred.
- Minimum two years post high school education or equivalent experience
- 20 years of age or older (preferred)
- Willing to submit to background check.
- Must have current American Heart Association or Red Cross CPR training/certification for infants and children or willing to complete training.
- Dependability is essential. Tardiness and excessive unscheduled absences may result in termination of employment.
- There will be a six-month probationary period where either party may, with a two-week notice, terminate employment without cause.
- Immediate termination will occur in cases such as intentional verbal, physical or emotional abuse or neglect of any child, parent or church member or other items listed in church policy manuals.
- Nursery workers will be terminated if they fail to follow nursery policies listed above or in situations of absence or habitual lateness.
Support provided to nursery workers.
To create a cooperative working environment, we will:
- Immediately seek to rectify any problems that may arise.
- Allow nursery workers to take grievances to the Children's Ministry Coordinator, Pastor of Youth and Families, or Children's Council
- Welcome suggestions of how to improve our nursery.
- Compensate fairly.
- Conduct job appraisals every six months.
- Fund any required training
- Provide an appropriately furnished nursery. Including rocking chairs, table, chairs, cribs, changing area, toys and supplies.
- Provide snacks for children.
For more information or to apply for this position, please contact Cherie Asante (Children’s Ministry Coordinator) at email@example.com or 847-864-6181 ext. 11.