Keyboard Accompanist (Organist/ Pianist)
First United Methodist Church in Des Plaines (http://www.fumcdp.org/) has an opening position for an Accompanist (Organist/Pianist). The person assisting in this position will support the Worship and Music Ministry of the church through excellence in keyboard skills (multi-rank organ and piano). It is expected of the accompanist to have a passion for the worship experience and a strong Christian faith. The Organist/Pianist will report to the Director of Music Ministry, the Senior Pastor and the Church Staff’s Chairperson, and will support the mission and statement of the church. A performance audition for this position would be required. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2017.
- Performance of keyboard music on two Sundays services each month (1st and 3rd), including prelude, hymns, choral accompaniment, postlude, etc., in harmony with previously scheduled worship themes & focuses. Sunday services take place from 10:00am – 11:30am.
- Provide keyboard accompaniment for Chancel Choir rehearsals on Tuesdays (7:00pm – 8:30pm), and 1st and 3rd Sundays (9:00am – 9:45am).
- Consult with the Director of Music Ministry and Clergy to prepare appropriate music/performances for special services such as Christmas, Holy Week Services, Easter, etc.
- Music planning and accompaniment for weddings and funerals at the church (these adjunct events will receive additional compensation through private parties).
- Responsible for securing substitute organist/pianist as necessary in conjunction with Director of Music Ministry, Senior Pastor and Church Staff’s Chairperson.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in music or related subject area with a major or minor discipline in keyboard music.
- Appropriate sight-reading and demonstrated accompanying skills.
- Self-motivated, reliable and able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work well with staff, church members and other musicians.
Part-time Position: Hours: 2-4 hours per week (12 hours p/ month)