Illinois Statewide Outreach Director
Title: Illinois Statewide Outreach Director
Salary: $60,000 to $80,000 annually plus benefits
Reports to: Executive Director
Faith in Place is an interfaith, environmental nonprofit (501c3) organization. Our mission is to empower Illinois people of all faiths to be leaders in caring for the Earth, by providing resources to educate, connect, and advocate for healthier communities.
Faith in Place organizes faith leaders, groups, and members to make a positive environmental impact by starting Green Teams. Green Teams are three or more members of a house of worship who provide cooperative leadership to educate, connect, and advocate for environmental programs and consciousness within the context of their faith community’s unique culture, history, and theological practices. Green Teams are trusted messengers, mobilizing their fellow faith community members for environmental action. Faith in Place’s vision is to actively coach Green Teams spread across Illinois, reflecting the state’s racial, ethnic, language, socio- economic, geographic, and faith diversity. Supporting each other, Green Teams and people of faith lead the environmental movement toward justice.
Faith in Place’s specially trained outreach staff, all who are from their outreach areas, work closely with each Green Team, providing coaching adapted to each team’s unique circumstances and needs. A well-functioning Green Team works with their Green Team Coach (Faith in Place outreach staff) to implement our programs in energy and climate change; sustainable food and land use; water preservation; youth empowerment; and advocacy. Our belief is that the better coached a Green Team, the easier it is to implement impactful green programs and mobilize to effect change for environmental justice.
The Statewide Outreach Director joins a diverse team working to coach more than 180 Green Teams located across the state of Illinois. Their primary responsibility is to provide support and accountability for outreach staff as needed around the Green Team Coaching program.
The Statewide Outreach Director will also provide support to the Faith in Place Action Fund, a separate 501c4 nonprofit organization. The Faith in Place Action Fund raises memberships and motivates lobbying for environmental justice at the Statehouse in Illinois. The Faith in Place Action Fund uses a number of tools to hold candidates and elected officials accountable to create more environmental justice jobs in Illinois. These tools include grassroots lobbying, legislator scorecards, questionnaires, interviews, and candidate endorsements. The Statewide Outreach Director will work with the Faith in Place Action Fund Team to incorporate the statewide Green Teams into the Faith in Place Action Fund’s policy and candidate campaigns.
- Overseeing the Green Team Coaching Program including supporting Outreach Staff (the Coaches) in empowering existing Green Teams, starting new ones, and tracking the relationships
- Coaching assigned Green Teams
- Achieving key performance indicators for Outreach Department of Faith in Place
- Leading in organizing our annual Green Team Summit, where we gather Green Teams and environmental activists from across the world to share and learn together about advancing measurable steps for environmental justice
- Working with clergy, Houses of Worship, and seminaries across Illinois on environmental justice
- Supervising and managing four to six staff across the state
- Partnering with Director of Programs to ensure all program key performance indicators are achieved and creating new programs and modified existing ones as needed
- Collaborating with the Policy Director and Faith in Place Action Fund team to advance all policy and candidate campaign goals
- Providing content and stories for the Communications and Development Teams to highlight and share the impact of Faith in Place’s outreach efforts
- Assisting the Executive Director as needed to support fundraising pitches, achieve and track grant deliverables, and providing leadership around advancing and upholding the organization’s vision, mission, theory of change, and principles.
- Working with Operations and Finance team to share relevant information to Outreach and Program Staff
- Representing Faith in Place in meetings and conferences
- Collaborating with staff and volunteers on logistics and plans for events throughout the state
- Being present at all fundraising events, as assigned
- Participating in weekly staff and departmental meetings, staff retreats throughout the state, and assigned project teams
- Accomplishing other activities as assigned
- Occasional weekend and evening work required
- Work is remote during the COVID-19 pandemic. When professional public health guidance determines that the pandemic has receded, at least some work may be at our main office at 70 E. Lake St., Ste. 920 in Chicago
- Seven plus years of relevant experience in all or most of these categories: program development and implementation, outreach methodologies and organizing, and management of staff
- Well-versed in environmental justice issues, community-based programs, and antiracism work
- Passion for environmental justice, a strong work ethic, and a positive attitude
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with internal and external individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, religious traditions, and political beliefs
- Strong writing and public speaking skills
- Exceptional ability to organize, pay attention to detail, and accomplish meeting goals in tight timeframes
- Familiarity of the diversity of regions throughout Illinois
- Experience working with a diversity of clergy, spiritual leaders, Houses of Worship, and seminaries across Illinois
- Advanced computer skills, including familiarity with standard business computer applications and databases
- Experience with program budgets
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to learn and grow
- Able to process and exercise discretion when handling confidential information and materials
A comprehensive benefits package is offered to full-time employees of Faith in Place. These benefits, with some employee contributions, include medical, dental, vision, life, and short-term and long-term disability insurance, employer matched SIMPLE IRA plan, and transit withholding, and begin the first of the month following start of employment. Up to 20 paid vacation days, 2 paid personal days, and 2 paid sick days will begin after 6 months of employment. Paid holidays are also included upon hire. Monthly cell phone stipend and, during the COVID-19 work-from-home period, an internet stipend is provided along with a $500 one- time payment to help with home office needs.
Faith in Place is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Rev. Brian Sauder at firstname.lastname@example.org.