Director/Pastor for High School and Young Adult Ministries
Please send resume's to Rev. Shawn Lewis-Lakin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Director/Pastor for High School and Young Adult Ministries
Position Type: Full Time, Salary
Application Deadline: February 22, 2019, or until filled
Reports To: Senior Pastor or Designee
Direct Reports: Part-time paid high school ministry coordinator
Volunteer counselors and leaders
Compensation: Competitive salary & benefits commensurate with experience.
Key Metrics: Accountability for meeting established targets in the following areas:
- Weekly attendance by high school students in discipleship groups
- Young Adult participation in discipleship groups
- High School student and young adult involvement in mission and service opportunities.
- Number of volunteer leaders trained and regularly engaged in providing leadership.
Role: To be the primary pastor/director responsible for development, support, and expansion of ministries that engage high school students and young adults. Work with Children and Family ministries and the pastors overseeing discipleship to develop a comprehensive program for recruiting, developing and nurturing disciples of Jesus Christ across all ages.
- Preference given to candidates with theological training, either a graduate or master’s degree in religion or divinity.
- Training in child protection policies required; preference for persons able to provide training to other staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead youth and young adult ministries, through documented success in increasing the number of persons participating in regularly scheduled faith formation experiences.
Responsibilities of Position:
- Provide vision and leadership for the High School and Young Adult Ministries of Birmingham First
- Develop a core group of young adults (20s and 30s) and with them expand young adult programming as outlined in the congregation’s FORWARD plan (this may be reviewed at http://www.fumcbirmingham.org/forward/)
- Support development and launch of new worship service(s) to meet needs of young adults; currently planned for Saturday evenings
- Identify, develop and empower High School and Young Adult team leaders and coaches
- Develop and implement strategies for High School students and Young Adults to participate in, lead, and develop new Journey Groups
- Develop, organize and lead high school and young adult mission and service projects - local, regional, national and international - with volunteer leaders and counselors, in collaboration with the Missions Committee and relating staff.
- Support annual choir camp through alliance with Director of Music.
- Responsible for working with Communications Coordinator on the promotion and marketing of High School and Young Adult ministries and missions
- Cultivate positive relationships with high school students and their families in the church, community and local schools.
- Be present with young adults in community, developing relationships and inviting persons to participate in the life of the congregation.
- Plan and administer an annual calendar of activities designed to connect high school students and young adults to God, to others, to ministry and to mission, so they can become fully devoted followers of Christ.
- Submit and administer an annual high school and young adult ministry budget.
- Support the general pastoral needs of the church including teaching, counseling, on-call support, Sunday morning and Saturday evening worship service hosting, and collaboration on shared initiatives
- Carry out all duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the congregation’s stated purpose and values
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; hear or smell. The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 30 pounds.
To gather, nurture and equip disciples of Jesus Christ for ministry and mission in the world.
Our Core Values:
Welcome All Put Love Into Action
Honor God Through Excellence Embrace Bold Vision
Encourage Lifelong Spiritual Growth Support One Another
Embracing the example of Jesus, we welcome you here with hearts that know no boundaries of age, race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, ability, or economic circumstance.