Director of Youth Ministries
Clemson United Methodist Church
Clemson United Methodist Church (www.clemsonumc.org) is seeking a dynamic individual to lead our well-established and vibrant youth program. Located in the college town of Clemson, SC (approximately halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte and 30+ minutes from downtown Greenville, SC), CUMC is a growing congregation of 1000+ members with an average weekly worship attendance of 400+ and 25+ youth participating across all youth programs (Sunday Night, Small Groups, Thursday Prayer Breakfast, Retreats, etc.). Our Christian Life Center has dedicated space for youth including the Orange Peel (large multi-use room), a lounge, and game room. In addition, the CLC also includes a gym/event space and commercial kitchen and there are a variety of outdoor spaces on our campus. Our church is dedicated to “Making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” Please see the following pages for more information:
Reports to: Senior Pastor & Pastor of Spiritual Formation
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Status: Full time
The Director of Youth Ministries will provide dynamic leadership and oversight to the youth ministry program at Clemson United Methodist Church, equipping youth and their families to grow in their faith and discipleship.
- Spiritual Maturity: Demonstrates a mature faith and is constantly growing and maturing in their own spiritual life.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to lead others. -Demonstrates the skills of active listening. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Relates easily with a variety of personalities. Demonstrates the ability to work well with others, focusing on cooperation, seeking solutions through mutual sharing. Creates an atmosphere of trust and connectivity.
- Biblical and Theological Knowledge: Engages in biblical and theological reflection that is informed and sensitive to a United Methodist context. Allows for diversity of thought within the faith community.
- Leadership Development: Develops leaders from both adult and youth participants in the program. Provides informed training and guidance to those who provide leadership in the program. Focuses on leading not just a small group of worship team members but the entire worshipping community in song and praise.
- Organization: Understands the necessity of short and long-range planning and clear communication with youth and families. Realizes that in order for goals and targets to be achieved, people affected must be a major part of the planning and implementation process.
- Develop and maintain a holistic youth program for persons in middle and high school that fosters Christian growth and maturity in a community of grace.
- Promote and equip small group ministries for youth at CUMC.
- Continue to develop a network of spiritually gifted interns and adults to work l with youth in a variety of ministries. Current groups include a parent's advisory committee, youth leadership team, and small group leaders.
- Develop and maintain strong relational connections with youth, including attending school, extra-curricular, and performance events in which youth are participating.
- Nurture relationships between youth and other generational groups within and beyond CUMC.
- Plan and organize opportunities for youth to be involved in missions locally and beyond the Clemson community.
- Work with the Pastor of Spiritual Formation to develop a confirmation experience. Other Responsibilities:
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in Church Council meetings as a non-voting staff member.
- Maintain appropriate recordkeeping. Work cooperatively with other ministry areas of the church (e.g. Clemson Wesley, Children's Ministry/Mission Mania, intergenerational and family programs).
- Follow CUMC's Safe Sanctuary policy in all facets of ministry.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Able to work in different settings and participate in activities with youth.
- Able to operate church bus for youth-related activities. No CDL is required. To Apply
Submit resume and a 3-5 minute (maximum) video statement of your philosophy of youth ministry along with the names and contact information for at least 3 references to:
Anne Eldridge - firstname.lastname@example.org