Director of Youth and Family Ministry
Kirk in the Hills is a Presbyterian Church (USA) located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. We are seeking a
Director for Youth Ministry based on the following mission and core values of our Christian Formation
We are committed to fostering a strong sense of identity and belonging that’s firmly grounded in
Christian faith expressed and solidified through the following five core values:
Value #1: We believe relationships anchor us
- Can you build relationships with people across a wide range of ages, especially with 6-12 graders?
- Can you recruit, involve, and engage people of different ages and generations in youth and children’s ministry in meaningful ways?
- Can you utilize relationships to help our youth integrate faith into their present and future lives?
Value #2: We believe stories shape us
- Can you help our children, youth, and young adults interpret and apply God’s story of love and salvation as told in the Bible?
- Can you recognize emerging stories in the youth culture and help tell those stories in ways they relate to our faith?
- Can you help our children, youth, and young adults locate and articulate their stories in God’s story especially as told through the person of Jesus Christ?
Value #3: We believe rituals define us
- Can you help our children, youth, and young adults define who they are within the life of our congregation and worship?
- Can you help our youth develop healthy habits and spiritual practices for now and future?
- Can you create meaningful communal practices and rituals that would help our children, youth, and young adults to define who they are and what their faith means to them?
Value #4: We believe service grows us
- Can you build relationships with local service organizations and coordinate local service projects for our youth on a regular basis (approximately once a month)?
- Can you plan and lead international youth and young adult mission trips?
- Can you debrief service and mission experiences with the youth and young adults in ways that’s meaningful and lasting for them?
Value #5: We believe curiosity deepens our faith
- Can you create safe and brave space where questions are encouraged and doubt is recognized as an integral part of faith formation in our children, youth, and young adults?
- Can you innovate and come up with creative ways of doing youth ministry that will keep both youth and adult volunteers engaged and growing?
- Can you engage youth in relevant theological conversations both individually and in small groups?
Preferences and characteristics:
- Theologically trained
- Familiar with Christian music—both contemporary and traditional
- Has knowledge of and/or trained in the field of mental health
- Proficient in technology and use of social media
- Innovative and Interested in social enterprise
- Experience working with the youth
- Highly motivated /self-starter
- Able to create multiple networks both in and outside of church
- Possesses deep appreciation for diversity
- Team player
- Oversee all youth ministries including but not limited to the following:
- Plan, prepare, teach, coordinate Sunday school, confirmation, and youth group on a weekly basis
- Recruit and train all adult youth leaders
- Plan and lead all summer camps and mission trips
- Plan and lead all special events and activities for the youth
- Identify and plan for local service opportunities throughout the year
- Serve with children’s ministry team on Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, and other family program.
- Serve with dedicated Kirk in the Hills volunteers to amplify young adult ministry offerings.
Interested or questions? Please contact Angela Ryo, Associate Pastor for Christian Formation, at
Our vision statement: We envision a world where every heart experiences God’s transforming love.
Thursday, November 7, 2019
Kirk in the Hills
United Methodist Church (UMC)