Director of Engagement
Join the dynamic and diverse ministry team at Winnetka Congregational Church, an open-minded, open-hearted, non-denominational Christian church 40 minutes north of Chicago.
The Director of Engagement’s strategic focus is helping our church to grow: in its faith, in its sense of interpersonal connection and Christian community, and in its membership. Through personal interactions, small groups, events, programming, and communications, the Director of Engagement will serve as a welcoming and organizing presence who empowers our congregation to inform, invite, include, integrate, and inspire members, prospective members, and visitors, alike.
The Director of Engagement reports to the Senior Pastor and works with the entire staff and lay-leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive plan for engagement that helps visitors and members, alike, to feel more involved, more connected to one another, and more grounded in the church and their faith.
- Organize/coordinate multiple engagement events throughout the year (e.g., Art Series).
- Greet and welcome both visitors and members before and after worship and at church events.
- Prepare/organize materials to share with visitors.
- Introduce/connect visitors to current members (and current members with other current members) to cultivate a sense connection/community.
- Update the online church visitor log after each worship service and event.
- Follow up with visitors and current members (e.g., handwritten notes, calls).
- Become familiar with interests of visitors and members.
- Work with Membership Committee and senior pastor to plan New Member Sundays (at least three per program year) and the events surrounding those Sundays.
- Use various communication styles, tools, and venues to encourage visitors and members to engage in the church’s services/events/groups/programs.
- Ensure that congregants who have been members for less than two years feel engaged and attended to.
- Meet weekly with senior pastor to plan and coordinate engagement efforts.
- Keep pastoral staff, Membership Committee, and other groups updated about visitors and members.
- Reach out to members who have become less actively involved.
- Work with committee chairs to coordinate goals and efforts that promote engagement.
- Attend monthly Church Council meetings and give written/verbal report.
- Believes in the value of church and the power of faith in our lives
- Love of, and interpersonal ability, to engage with people of all ages, orientations, genders, backgrounds, and ability levels
- Committed to our congregation’s vision of respect, inclusion, and empowerment
- Well organized and motivated to initiate and complete projects
- Collaborative style; willing to pitch in to get things done
- Natural communicator, connector, and promoter
- Approximately 20-25 hours per week
- Some flexibility in the hours
- Present on Sunday mornings—before, during, and after worship services
- Weekly meeting with Senior Pastor
- Participation in various engagement opportunities (as scheduled)
- Participation in Church Council and select staff meetings
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-5 years work experience, preferably in a Christian faith community
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Bob Smith via HR-WCC@wwc-joinus.org. Applications will be accepted until August 15, 2019. The desired start date is Septmenber 8, 2019.