Director of Dignity Diner
Hours per week: 6-10 hours (3-4 hours [approx 4pm-8pm] on Tuesday evenings)
Salary: approximately $6000 ($120/week); commensurate with experience.
Location: Holy Covenant United Methodist Church (UMC), 925 W Diversey Pkwy, Chicago, IL 60614
Dignity Diner is a weekly program that offers a free, nutritious meal to hungry or homeless people in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Wrightwood neighborhood. Started by the church in 1995, this ministry program is one of the primary ways Holy Covenant UMC lives out our commitment to hospitality, inclusivity, and social justice in the world.
The Director of the Dignity Diner:
- Coordinates a nutritious weekly dinner for 40-65 people (fresh salad, main course, dessert, water, coffee/tea)
- Recruits, schedules, orients volunteers to:
- Prepare/deliver food, water, supplies
- Set up, serve, clean-up
- Creates and administers the budget for Dignity Diner, in consultation with Holy Covenant UMC’s Finance Committee & Dignity Diner Commitee
- Applies for grants and generates ideas for fundraising opportunities, in collaboration with Holy Covenant UMC and community volunteers
- Communicates regularly with Holy Covenant UMC and the pastor
- Represents Holy Covenant UMC in our ministry with and among the community
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience in a leading a program
- Able to recruit and train volunteers
- Good communicator and able to address conflict
- A self-starter with a creative, entrepreneurial spirit
- Comfort in working with culturally, racially, socially diverse populations
- Commitment to serve the hungry and homeless community
- Access to a car
- Sanitation certification, or willingness to complete course
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Oct 8, 2019.
Interested applicants are encouraged to visit Dignity Diner before applying. To schedule a visit, please indicate preferred dates for Tuesday evenings in the e-mail along with cover letter and resume.