Director of Congregational Excellence
Position Title: Director of Congregational Excellence
Reports To: Lead Pastor
Position Type: Exempt
Hours: Part Time (no more than 20 hours a week including Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings)
This position is to assist the pastor in resourcing the Discovery UMC vision of worship, relationship, and community. The chief objective is to model and ensure best practices in these areas are being lived out. Examples of these best practices may be found in the Next Level Innovations program. This person should have a working knowledge and practice of United Methodist history, doctrine, and adhere to the current United Methodist Church Book of Discipline. This position is paid through a three-year grant.
- Ensuring Discovery is communicating plans and programs to the congregation and community through social media, bulletin, and other means as well as overseeing the implementation of such programs.
- Assist in leading worship.
- Ensuring church servants are trained and best practices are being followed for “Discovery Welcomes” through hospitality, greeting, ushers, volunteers, et al.
- Preach several times a year and in the absence of the pastor.
- Pursue educational opportunities such as local church lay servant, certified lay servant, and certified lay minister training, or other approved training and education.
- Ensure there are small group programs for every age level and of various spiritual maturities available to the membership. This may include working with the youth and children’s staff members, and actively engaging in the teaching ministries of the church.
- Coordinate “Discovery Cares” to help with congregational care.
- Coordinate and lead community service and missions opportunities ensuring the membership has the ability to live out this area of the vision.
- Build partnerships with businesses and charities in the surrounding community.
- Plan and implement quarterly “Discovery in Community” Days.
Must have a minimum of at least one of the following:
- Endorsement of a bachelor’s degree
- Leadership or Management experience
- Comparable church leadership experience
- Servant Leadership
- Community Collaboration
- Program Management
- Teaching and Learning
- Interactions and Guidance
- Social Media
- Public Speaking
Perform other related duties as assigned by the lead pastor.