Director of Children's Ministry
The Director of Children’s Ministry implements the mission and vision of UPC by providing leadership for Children’s Ministry within the Family Life Ministries department. The Director will lead the efforts of the Children’s staff, elders and volunteer leadership teams to support vision, build strong discipling relationships between volunteers and children, create quality programs, and support parents as the primary influence in their children’s faith.
- Determines goals, policies and staffing requirements in collaboration with the Director of Family Ministries, CM elders and key stakeholders to support CM vision and mission.
- Provides supervision for all year-round ministries with children from birth to fifth grade.
- Provides a passionate voice for Children’s Ministry across all departments within UPC and the congregation as a whole.
- Develops yearly financial plan in collaboration with the Director of Family Life Ministries and is responsible for day-to-day management of financial plan.
- Acts as a resource person for Children’s Ministry to the congregation and community.
- Demonstrates strong commitment to growing the ‘Sticky Faith’ initiative at UPC.
- Direct supervision of the Elementary Ministry Assoc. Dir. & the Early Childhood Assoc. Dir.
- Supervises the recruitment, training, development, mentoring and managing of staff.
- Recruitment, development, training and mentoring of volunteer staff.
- Develop and maintain strong systems for Safe Environments, Sexual Abuse/Child ProtectionPolicies, Child Security Check-In & Check-Out Policies, and all compliance documents.
- Directs and oversees curriculum choices and use.
- Oversees milestones including baptisms and 4th grade Bibles.
- Oversees operations including scheduling, publicity, communication, security and facilities.
- Provides pastoral care and counseling referrals when needed.
- Facilitates department-wide staff meetings, training and team-building.
- A vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ and a willingness to grow and learn.
- Highly invested in the community of UPC.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional teaching experience a plus with an understanding of child development and learning styles.
- An ability to inspire and motivate.
- Strength in the areas of communication, delegation and facilitation.
- An understanding of the core beliefs of UPC as expressed In the Essential Tenets of Faith.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience leading a church-based children’s ministry with multiple programs or equivalent.
- Demonstrated team-building and program development skills and ability to manage multiple large events and programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and public communication skills.
- This job is regularly required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear.
- This job is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- This job is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position requires some travel, overnights and a flexible schedule to respond to ministry needs.
Resumes and cover letters may be sent to Drew Hulse email@example.com or visit our web site at http://www.upc.org/serve/work-at-upc1/job-openings/.
University Presbyterian Church is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values staff with a broad cross-cultural perspective. We strive to create an inclusive environment and embrace diversity.