Director Children, Youth, and Family Ministries
Job Type: Full Time Salary: $35,000 - $40,000 Benefits: Yes
Start date: August 11, 2019
Central United Methodist Church, located in the heart of the city of Detroit, is a diverse Peace and Justice, Reconciling Congregation, where all are welcome regardless of race, ethnicity, immigration status, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic situation, immigration status, age, ability, belief, or background. We seek a Director of Children, Youth & Family Ministries who is committed to our vision of an inclusive church community.
Central’s Christian Education Ministry is growing! Come join our team! We are looking for a new Director who has a passion for sharing and showing God's love across all ages but in particular to children and youth.
The Director will possess:
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of children, youth & adults.
- A commitment to the Christian faith and general understanding of the Bible and Christian teaching.
- A warm, engaging personality.
- A calming, non-anxious presence.
- An ability and willingness to be flexible in a changing environment.
- Satisfactory completion of criminal background check and reference check.
- Satisfactory completion of United Methodist Church Safe Sanctuary Training.
- First Aid, including infant CPR, certified or a commitment to secure certification in the first 60 days of employment.
- Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of and previous experience in the United Methodist Church.
- United Methodist Deacons and candidates for ordination as Deacon are strongly encouraged to apply.
Accountability: The Director of Children, Youth & Family Ministries will report to the Staff Parish Relations Committee and the Pastor and coordinate with the lay committees at Central, volunteers and church members.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, implements and evaluates Christian Education/faith development for the entire congregation that is age appropriate across the life span, including Nursery School, Sunday school for children and youth, and Adult Education.
- Develops and implements innovative approaches to engage, promote and grow participation for Nursery School, Sunday school and small group ministries.
- Recruits, trains, equips and motivatesvolunteers to ensure a quality Christian Education program.
- Is present and participates in weekly worship services.
- Plans and delivers weekly Children’s messages in collaboration with Pastor.
- Collaborates with Senior Pastor on offering high quality Confirmation and New Member Classes.
- Selects teaching materials and supplies for children and youth. For adult classes,
- Director will collaborate with adult teacher(s) on selection of teaching materials. o Advocates and plans for the inclusion of children and families as part of worship (Children’s sermons, coordinates Acolytes). Enhances the connection between children attending Nursery School, Sunday school and parents/families attending worship.
- Plans and implements special programs and events (Vacation Bible School, recruits for summer camp).
- Manages the Christian Education budget.
- Regularly monitors all rooms and spaces used for Christian Education for cleaning and maintenance needs. Works with Trustees, Building Superintendent, and Custodial Staff to insure that rooms are cleaned weekly and that all maintenance issues are reported and addressed in a timely manner.
- Supervises subordinate Christian Education staff, including insuring that time sheets are completed and submitted timely.
- Attends Staff meetings and Ministry Team meetings.
- Connects congregation to the greater United Methodist Church through education and promotion of District, Conference and Denominational resources and events.
- Creates opportunities for congregation to gather for fellowship and fun as well as faith formation.
To apply please email your interest letter, a current resume, and two references to Jeffrey Ellison, Staff Parish Relations Committee Chair at EllisonEsq@aol.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted promptly to schedule an interview.