Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries
Minnetonka UMC is seeking a director of children, youth, and family ministries to develop and grow creative and vibrant ministries for children, youth, and families that form disciples who strive to transform the world in the name of Jesus.
This position can be one full-time job, or two part-time jobs—one focused on children, and the other focsed on youth, depending on the skills of the applicant(s). Please make clear in your application if you are applying for the full time children and youth role or one of the two part-time roles.
Basic Position Responsibilities/Tasks:
- Fostering safe, inviting and engaging ministry environments for children, youth and adults year-round on Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights and other times when programming and/or ministry occurs while:
- Recruiting, training, equipping, empowering, nurturing and expressing appreciation for those who teach and/or lead others in discipleship formation, all of whom will follow Safe Gatherings policies.
- Evaluating and selecting curriculum that promotes key values such as biblical literacy, community, mission, evangelism, inclusivity, outreach, service and love/care of God and neighbor.
- Overseeing the coordination of Sunday school, Wednesday night programming, Vacation Bible School (VBS), Make a Difference (MAD) Camp, the youth mission trip and other discipleship opportunities that arise.
- Welcoming, following up with, connecting and resourcing families new to or already affiliated with Minnetonka United Methodist Church.
- Coordinating outreach opportunities for people of all ages that include but are not limited to fun outings, projects or offerings (all-church, specific to life stage, etc.).
- Engaging children, youth and families in service to God and neighbor within the church, the larger community and beyond, in ways that include but are not restricted to coordinating and leading the annual youth mission trip (along with the execution of occasional fundraising efforts for the mission trip).
- Preparing weekly Children’s Time messages for children and creating/updating/maintaining intentional practices and tools for children to use that enable them to engage wholeheartedly in worship.
- Regularly meeting, brainstorming and planning with ministry teams specific to children’s, youth and family ministries.
- Participating in weekly staff meetings and check-ins with the Pastor.
- Maintaining ministry files and all documentation pertaining to children, youth and the volunteers who work with them.
- Advertising, communicating and promoting children’s, youth and family ministry offerings to the congregation and larger community through a variety of mediums including social media.
- Preparing and following an annual budget for children’s, youth and family ministries, along with maintaining and ordering supplies and equipment for ministry use.
- Fulfilling additional duties as assigned.
- Supervising the paid nursery staff; coordinating and scheduling Nursery staff and/or volunteers for church events and worship services; and overseeing the nursery environment, supplies and curriculum, when applicable.
- Advocating for children and youth so as to encourage spiritual growth at home and in the life of the church.
- Promoting United Methodist opportunities, mission and church camps.
- Overseeing the implementation of established Safe Gatherings procedures.
- Creating and implementing strategies to develop, innovate and enhance the children’s, youth and family ministries of the church, which includes goal setting, outcomes and evidence measures.
- Providing regular updates and feedback to the Pastor and children’s, youth and family ministry representatives on the Servant Leadership Board about children’s, youth and family ministries.
- Displaying a love for and belief in Jesus Christ, as well as a passion for the mission, vision, ministries and faith development of Minnetonka United Methodist Church; considers this position a ministry calling more than a job
- Maintaining an ongoing commitment to personal spiritual growth and a healthy lifestyle
- Demonstrating commitment to the inclusivity of all God’s people and collaborative teamwork
- Providing a welcoming, hospitable ad informative presence in-person, electronically and on the phone while addressing immediate needs or inquiries in a timely manner
- Exhibiting prompt and excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Managing time well and meeting deadlines, adjusting their schedule in accordance with the needs and demands of the position; self-directed and organized
- Ensuring timeliness when leading and attending functions of the church
- Upholding strict confidentiality with the pastor, staff and others as it relates to information affecting the overall function and health of the church and its membership
- Adhering to the policies and procedures outlined in the church’s Employee
- Handbook and publicly supporting the pastor, staff and mission of the church.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
July 15, 2021