Director of Children, Youth, and Families Ministries
Position Title: Director of Children, Youth, and Families Ministries
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Works Directly with:
Church Administrative Staff
Sunday School Superintendent
Grow in God Cluster Leader
Youth Group Adult Leaders
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week, salaried position. Paid leave is to include three weeks, and four Sundays. Schedule is approved by the Pastor.
Supervision: Reports to the Senior Pastor. The Staff/Pastor-Parish Relations Committee (S/PPRC) provides an annual evaluation of the Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries performance as required by the United Methodist Book of Discipline.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual guidance, and follows the strategic guidance of the Senior Pastor. The Director of Children, Family, and Youth Ministries carries the primary responsibility of directly working with the employees and volunteers dedicated to serving those ministries.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries should bring a very high energy quotient with passion, enthusiasm, and a joy for working with and serving children, youth, and their respective families, as well as a good sense of humor and ability to communicate well with teens and younger children.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries will perform the administrative tasks such as developing programmatic budgets, organizing, managing volunteers, maintaining required documentation for external programs, and recruiting other participants supporting children and youth ministries.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries will network within the community and local churches to develop effective partnerships that support the mission of Pender United Methodist Church (PUMC).
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries will work closely with the Director of Communications and the Administrative Assistant to coordinate children and youth activities. With this team, the Director will use the church master program and facilities calendar, ensuring that events are publicized in a clear, strategic, and timely fashion.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries will communicate clearly and regularly with the Senior Pastor, S/PPRC, staff, lay leaders, and volunteer teams in regards to ministry goals, successes, and challenges to carry out the work of children and youth ministries.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries will maintain a Christ-centered lifestyle, nurture one-on-one relationships with the youth, and support Pender UMC policies and procedures. The Director will nurture and encourage Pender youth, and will be a positive role model for unifying the youth with each other, and within Pender.
- The Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries will be subordinate to the Senior Pastor and the S/PPRC, who will provide an annual evaluation of the Director’s performance.
- At the direction and with the support of the Senior Pastor, the Director of Children, Families, and Youth Ministries assists in the development of strategic guidance, project plans, and intermediate steps necessary to facilitate spiritual and numerical growth of children, youth, and families for Pender United Methodist Church.
1. Youth Ministry
- Develop, coordinate, and guide a comprehensive, interactive, discussion-based (as opposed to lecture model) program for the Sunday night youth group meetings, and Bible studies activities. Review and develop curriculum for the youth ministries program for spiritual development, education, worship, evangelism, missions, fellowship, discipleship and affirmation of youth.
- Plan, coordinate, and guide ongoing ministries (Sunday morning classes, Sunday night youth group meetings, weekly Bible studies, annual confirmation class) and special events (Bi-district youth events; Easter, Christmas, and Thanksgiving events within the context of the ministry at Pender) that are strategic in helping Pender achieve the church’s mission.
- Develop, implement, and attend ministries that involve the youth in hands-on service and missions in and beyond the church to help them develop a heart for serving the Lord by serving others. This includes planning and attending various youth retreats and mission trips.
- Establish an annual plan each Fall that addresses ministry goals and objectives. Plan, coordinate, and prioritize related programs, events, and activities. Plan an appropriate budget, delegate tasks for the following year.
2. Children & Family Ministry
- Recruit, teach, train, spiritually support, and effectively supervise volunteers for Children’s Sunday School, Children’s Church, Volunteers/Child Protection Policy, and supervision of nursery workers. Ensure child care for special services, and the Jesus Loves You monthly small group supporting fourth through sixth grade children.
- Provide support and help with the delivery of suitable Christian Education program across the Children and Family ministry.
With the support of the Senior Pastor, create opportunities for ‘family events’ at Pender UMC and encourage attendance at suitable ‘church-wide’ events.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction in executing the summer Vacation Bible School, Fall Festival, Christmas, and Easter activities.
- Provide pastoral care to children, youth, and families. Provide confidential pastoral counseling in emergencies and on a short-term basis.
Required Administrative Meetings:
- Monthly meeting with the GPS Youth Leadership team.
- Weekly meeting with the Pastor.
- Weekly meeting with Pender staff.
- Meeting with S/PPRC as requested.
- Lay leadership meetings as requested either by the Lay Leader or the Senior Pastor.
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree, preferably in a related field.
Continuing Education and Spiritual Growth:
- All staff members of Pender are encouraged to seek ministry-related continuing education opportunities (seminars, conferences, etc.) as well as spiritual growth opportunities. In addition to salary, funds will be budgeted each year for continuing education.
Candidates can email their resume to email@example.com no later than August 14, 2021.