Title: Church Administrator
Last Updated: 7/9/19
The First Congregation Church of Evanston (FCCE) is seeking a Church Administrator with a positive outlook and flexible attitude to perform a variety of facilities and general administrative duties. You will have the benefit of being part of a stellar team and serving the community through multiple outreach programs.
This position will be filled on a temp to perm basis, with an initial 90 day probation period.
Responsibilities for this role include 3 key areas of focus:
- As principal church receptionist, answer phones and front doorbell; provide support to all colleagues using the church space or services.
- Assure that office machines, equipment, and supplies for support of staff and church operations are available and proactively secure per approved budget.
- Maintain and update church database for mailings (electronic and written) of weekly bulletin for Sunday service, Friday email, and newsletter;
- Maintain church's online and written church calendar, including special events, weddings, funerals, etc., and distribute to church staff.
- Manage the short-term (one-day) and some long-term rentals of church space to outside groups.
- Maintain financial database on church's proprietary software (Realm for membership and contributions and Connect Now for ledgers, payable and payroll); maintain records of contributions and donor activity; deposit weekly offering; prepare monthly and annual financial reports for the Treasurer.
- Prepare payroll and payroll taxes and quarterly returns for staff.
- Serve as the internal or external point of contact for any church member or staff member who has a concern involving maintenance and operations of buildings, grounds, and church equipment and appliances.
- Work closely with contractors, such as the handy man, cleaning, snow removal, and lawn care service providers to prioritize and accomplish work schedule.
- Assure routine servicing of HVAC systems in church and church house.
- Secure assistance to set up facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, special events, etc.
- Assure that buildings security systems and routines, including mechanical, are followed. Maintain all security records (codes, alarm records).
- Oversee insurance issues for employees as well as space-sharers and contractors.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- College degree preferred. A minimum of five years’ experience of office operations management, preferably in a church or not-for-profit setting.
- Computer skills including knowledge of software applications, including Microsoft Word and database management, and willingness to learn applications such as church accounting software.
- Ability to navigate and update social media and online sharing.
- Communications skills (including telephone, business writing), time management, and interpersonal skills especially working with volunteers.
- Basic knowledge of building systems such as plumbing, phone, electrical and HVAC in order to secure and oversee service providers.
- Must be customer service driven.
- Must have sound judgment and alertness.
- Proven ability to pay attention to detail and follow-through on tasks to completion.
- Demonstrated initiative and reliability in previous roles.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple requests for assistance.
- Commitment to organizational mission and goals and ability to work collaboratively to achieve them.
Shift/Hours/Days: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday; may include some occasional early mornings, weekend and/or evening hours.
Salary & Benefits: Salary is commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate, together with a competitive benefits package. We encourage all interested parties to apply.
Background checks: FCCE conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and will use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
EEO/AA Statement: The First Congregational Church of Evanston is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
About FCCE: The FCCE is open and affirming to people of all ages and abilities, races, sexual orientations gender identities, and national origins. We do not require any church affiliation or set of religious beliefs to apply but are seeking candidates aligned with these values.
The FCCE is a member of the United Church of Christ and maintains a connection with the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches (NACCC).
Please visit https://firstchurchevanston.org/index.html for more information about the First Congregational Church of Evanston.
How to apply: All qualified and interested colleagues can email their resume directly to Mark Daniels at email@example.com.