Children's Ministry Coordinator
Urban Village Church is seeking a Children’s Ministry Coordinator to shepherd and create community among our youngest disciples at one site location (either Wicker Park or South Loop, two positions are being hired for simultaneously. The position is a paid, part-time position (~5-10 hours per week) serving as a member of the Children’s Coordination Team. Children’s Coordinators contribute to the creation of an inclusive and engaging discipleship experience for the entire family by overseeing the children’s church and events of the weekly worship service at their site. This includes Sunday school volunteer opportunities for children and families, evangelism efforts, community outreach, and social events.
TIME COMMITMENT: 5-10 hours per week (varies by season)
- Live into and communicate well UVC’s mission and core values -bold, inclusive, and relevant, anti-racist, LGBTQIA inclusive, Jesus-centered
- Dedication to the spiritual growth and development of children and families
- Creatively communicate God’s story to our young people in multisensory ways, with special attention to those children in the community with special needs
- Be passionate about engaging and integrating children and youth into the life of the church with a particular commitment to intergenerational ministry
- Recruit and develop volunteer team members who lead well and are poised for anticipated growth.
- Communicate clearly and timely with parents and congregation, with appropriate information through email, social-media posts, and bulletin announcements.
- Experience and competencies around supporting the spiritual needs of children of color
- Organized & strong follow-through
- Flexible team player that can thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Training and/or experience with teaching children or family ministries desired.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Organize, recruit, and train teams, leaders, and/or volunteers to conduct the weekly tasks of the Children’s Ministry. These include:
- Teaching and Child Care – Teach weekly lesson, or recruit volunteer to teach weekly lesson that is age-appropriate for the context of your worship site and child care for children ages Birth-10 (curriculum selected by church). Procure materials to do this effectively.
- Weekly e-news to communicate upcoming Sunday focus and family ministries-related news.
- Adhere to Safe Sanctuary policies and any other church policies related to the care of children, which includes conducting background check clearances for all volunteers and childcare workers.
- Maintain administrative processes for Children and Family Ministries including emailings, registration, sign in attendance tracking and retention. This includes the scouting, interviewing, hiring and administering background checks for potential childcare workers. Maintain assigned portion of Breeze database
- Plan occasional events within & outside of the weekly adult worship service
- Organize and facilitate regular parent meetings for ongoing updates of kid’s church format, programming and plans.
- Organize and facilitate periodic programs, gatherings, small groups and activities for children and families (e.g. monthly brunches, holiday get-togethers, etc.)
- Create informational materials for programs and market/communicate programs to families and congregation members via printed materials and social media
- Organize and facilitate occasional meetings for volunteers who support children’s ministry to check in, share ideas, solve problems, build team camaraderie, etc.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly manages volunteer Sunday school teachers and paid part-time childcare workers.
REPORTS TO: Teaching Pastor
TO APPLY: Include a cover letter describing your experience with organizing volunteers and children, along with a resume here.