Associate Minister for Children and Youth
Position Title: Associate Minister for Children and Youth
Employment Status: Full Time
Salary: 42K – 47K
As the Associate Minister for Children and Youth, you will be responsible for coordinating, planning, and implementing children’s (K-6th grade) and youth (7th-12th grade) programming. You will coordinate and supervise all children, youth, and family ministries volunteers. You will also be responsible for implementing children’s, youth, and family activities throughout the year. You will create and maintain a safe, inviting, and dynamic atmosphere for learning and spiritual growth. This position requires adaptable leadership, administrative, and interpersonal skills for working with children, youth, and adults. Must be willing to show a long-term commitment to these programs and to our surrounding communities; promoting vitality, outreach, and growth.
Core Responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
- Oversee and develop the Children's and Youth programs that guide and facilitate their spiritual maturity, and deepens their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Work cooperatively with the staff and members of Shiloh UMC in our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Support children and youth participation in the life of the church.
- Engage parents and church members in children’s and youth’s spiritual growth.
- Recruit and manage volunteers for children’s, youth, and family ministries programs, classes, and events.
- Assist the youth with raising up their own leadership team through a process of spiritual gifts discovery, leadership development and open discernment.
- Plan and execute a minimum of two youth events per month, including Youth Group Meetings
- Organize, coordinate and implement with adult volunteer leaders to provide spiritual growth events for youth. These events include, but are not limited to:
- Sunday School for Youth
- Youth Mission Trips
- Camping/Retreat Events
- Fundraising Events
- Youth Confirmation Classes
- Lead the Children’s Ministry Team in planning and implementing children’s programs throughout the year. These programs may include, but are not limited to:
- Sunday Morning Children’s Church
- Sunday Morning Worship Service Children’s Message
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Children’s Christmas Program
- Vacation Bible School
- Child Dedications
- ● Help lead other special family-oriented events and classes.
- Select and implement the yearly Sunday School model and curriculum for children and youth.
- Provide tools for parents to equip them in their role as primary spiritual caregivers for their children and youth.
- Recruit, manage and empower a Family Education Ministry Team
- Hold informational meetings as necessary with parents to communicate about the children’s and youth’s ministries’ visions, programs, calendars, volunteer needs, parental concerns, etc.
- Develop and maintain a social media network with the children’s and youth’s parents.
- Review local school calendars that impact the lives of youth and their families,
- Develop a quarterly calendar of programs and events, providing necessary information to the church’s Communications Coordinator for inclusion in all media.
- Communicate any pastoral need situations to the Pastor (e.g. illnesses, hospitalizations, family crisis, deaths, or other situations in which children, youth, and/or their parents may require support).
- A passion for the gospel of Jesus Christ and its relation to youth, children, and families.
- Theological views are compatible with Methodist tradition and practices.
- Strong biblical knowledge and be a growing student of the Bible.
- Exemplify and teach Christian values, morals, and beliefs in all aspects of life.
- An energized organized self-starter who can implement his/her creative ideas.
- An excellent ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- A proven ability to establish and maintain rapport with children, youth, parents, staff, and congregation.
- College education/degree and at least 23 years of age. High school graduate required.
- Training or background in youth and child development/ministry
- Digital/IT experience/abilities and proficiency in multiple social media platforms.
- Budgeting skills/experience.
The Associate Minister for Children and Youth works under the direct supervision of the Pastor and will seek to accomplish all duties in a responsible and independent manner, keeping the Pastor informed of sensitive issues and the status of programs. The Pastor will review the work of the Associate Minister for Children and Youth, as it affects the overall quality of program accomplishment, and will provide constructive guidance as required. The church’s Staff/Pastor Parish Relations Committee will serve as the personnel agency and will assist in work evaluation, recommending appropriate compensation on an annual review basis. This body will also hear any work-related grievances, as necessary.
A one-page resume and two letters of recommendation are required.
- Pick up an application at the Shiloh Church office OR
- Go online to www.shiloh-umc.org/our-staff and scroll down to the job description
- Click the “Apply Now” button and complete the online form. Then click “Submit”
- Then, please email your one-page resume, and two letters of recommendation to email@example.com, OR drop off/mail to the Shiloh Church office.
Please mail to:
Shiloh United Methodist Church
Attention: Tim Boone, PPRC, Chair
210 South Main St. Shiloh IL 62269