Opportunities at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
Educational Technology Support
Garrett-Evangelical is a graduate school of theology related to The United Methodist Church. The school is the second oldest of the thirteen theological seminaries of The UMC in the United States. It is located on the campus of Northwestern University.
This is a part-time temporary position that may lead to a full-time permanent position, if the right candidate is found. The Educational Technology Support person will work closely with the Registrar, the Administrator for Academic Affairs, and the Director of Digital Learning to meet the educational technology needs of the faculty and students pertaining to classroom and pedagogical needs, including laptop and desktop computer help desk support. This position works part-time Monday through Friday with occasional evening or weekend hours required for special events.
- Two years of previous experience as an audio visual coordinator or related field.
- Previous experience with Windows and Apple operating systems.
- Previous experience with Final Cut Pro, Skype, Zoom, Google Hangouts, GoTo Meetings, and Moodle (or a similar learning management software).
- Proficiency in standard software packages such as Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Previous experience with sound boards, microphones, and video cameras or willingness to learn.
- Ability to provide basic personal computer help desk support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Previous experience in higher education as an audio visual technician or related position.
- Previous supervisory experience.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the Director of Digital Learning, the Academic Dean, Registrar, and Administrator for Academic Affairs to support faculty and student needs and requests related to digital pedagogy.
- Management of the Scorpion Chart (computer used to video conference students into classroom lectures).
- Trains student workers on use of Scorpion Cart and works with faculty and students on requests regarding the Scorpion Chart.
- Supervises multimedia student workers.
- Works with faculty and students regarding Zoom, Skype, Google Hangouts, and GoTo Meeting.
- Provides support, as primary contact, for Moodle learning management system to faculty and students.
- Assists faculty with building new courses, trouble shooting and orientation to Moodle.
- Assists in personal computer and help desk support.
- Maintains and manages the use of two video cameras, SD cards, and sound recording equipment.
- Records faculty lectures, presentations, and other special events upon request.
- Coordinates sound booth management with the Dean of Chapel for worship services and other chapel events.
- Transfers, edits, and uploads videos to appropriate YouTube channels.
- When possible, provides innovative ideas to support the use of technology in the classroom.
- Assists with classroom technology issues which may include projectors, videos, PowerPoint, microphones, etc
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Systems and Digital Services Librarian
The Styberg Library (formerly the United Library) is currently seeking a Systems and Digital Services librarian. Please see the job description below for complete details. Interested candidates should send a resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary is a graduate school of theology related to The United Methodist Church. The school, founded in 1853, is the second oldest of the thirteen theological seminaries of The United Methodist Church in the United States. It is located a few miles north of Chicago on the beautiful Evanston campus of Northwestern University. Governed by a Board of Trustees, Garrett-Evangelical has an outstanding faculty, dedicated staff, and diverse student population.
The Styberg Library (formerly the United Library), located on the campus of Garrett-Evangelical, is one of the largest theological libraries in the nation. The library owns about 400,000 print volumes, subscribes to more than 500 periodicals, and provides access to numerous electronic resources in partnership with the Northwestern University Library. The Styberg Library is a member of the American Theological Library Association (ATLA), Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI), and Association of Chicago Theological Schools (ACTS).
- The successful candidate will be an experienced professional who has at least 2-3 years of previous work experience in a library setting.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association.
- Proficiency in standard software packages such as Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite as well as screen recording/editing software.
- Experience managing technologies, including integrated library systems (Alma and Primo), websites (Drupal CMS), digital collection management systems (CONTENTdm), and OCR software (ABBYY FineReader).
- Certification in Alma administration which can be obtained after hired.
- Experience with training or instruction.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and peripherals
- Proficiency in metadata principles and practices such as those found in Dublin Core and other emerging metadata schemes for digital projects
- Working knowledge of scholarly communication, intellectual property, and copyrights
- Some experience in archives or record management
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Maintains the shared ExLibris ILS and discovery services, Alma and Primo, including the customization of the user interface and the testing of upgrade releases if necessary
- Coordinates with Northwestern University Libraries on ILS management and upgrades by participating in NU’s working groups (e.g., Primo group and Alma administrators group)
- Designs, maintains, and updates the library’s websites, plugins, LibGuides, and social media
- Ensures and supports access to electronic resources from on and off campus
- Develops integration between library systems and other campus systems such as LMS (currently Moodle) and Jenzabar
- Coordinates interactions with vendor and IT technical support; investigates problems received from library users and/or staff; documents, troubleshoots, and resolves errors
- Creates and maintains online guides (LibGuides) and online tutorials (Camtasia)
- Plans and manages digital initiative projects
- Develops, updates, and documents workflows, policies, and best practices
- Keeps abreast of emerging technologies and makes recommendations for library technology solutions
- Assists in developing short- and long-term library assessment plans and technological projects that ultimately support the mission, goals, and objectives of the Seminary
- Provides technical advice, training, and assistance
- Maintains and troubleshoots a variety of library equipment – security gates, scanners, RFID scanners, Alma slip printer, etc. – in collaboration with IT
- Performs circulation and/or reference services as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Garrett-Evangelical, founded in 1853, is a graduate school of theology related to The United Methodist Church. Located on the campus of Northwestern University, the seminary serves more than 500 students from many denominations and cultural backgrounds, fostering an atmosphere of ecumenical interaction. Garrett-Evangelical creates bold leaders through master of divinity, master of arts, master of theological studies, doctor of philosophy and doctor of ministry degrees. Its 4,500 living alumni serve church and society around the world.
External Job Board
To submit a position opening, please send a job description to email@example.com. Job postings will remain on our website for 60 days unless otherwise noted. Please note, Garrett-Evangelical reserves the right to choose which jobs are posted on the job board. Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary does not screen or recommend candidates for posted positions, makes no representations regarding the employers or positions listed herein, and takes no responsibility for persons hired into positions advertised on this job board.